We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

change planes in Nairobi?

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
171 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
change planes in Nairobi?

Hi all, I'm looking at some flight options for my trip to Tanzania next May and am wondering about returning to Toronto on a 6am flight with Precision Air out of JRO which lands in Nairobi at 7am, then I would change to KLM and depart for AMS at 8:25am. Is 1:25 mins enough time there to transfer??? I've never flown internationally before so am not sure what to expect... will I be able find my way easy enough or is it a huge scary airport?? Has anyone done this flight before and if so how was it?? Thx!! Luna

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,427 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: change planes in Nairobi?

You might also post this in the Kenya forum as they would have more experience and advice for Nairobi airport.Realize you need to be at JRO airport about three hours ahead even for a 6:00 am flight and if any delays, then you are well....you know. It would leave you in Nairobit which is a higt density, congested city and on your own. I would not recommend it. Unless you are saving $500 or more, I would not consider Nairobi over JRO.

I know the times are not great, but have you priced Turkish Airlines?

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
171 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: change planes in Nairobi?

Hmm... I see so PA is just a quicker way of getting to my flight which is technically departing from Nairobi? You are correct I would not want to be stuck there on my own... I had heard about Turkish Airways and their bad flight times so I just went to check it out and yep, they're bad all right... Depart Toronto at 10:30 (not bad) at night and arrive at JRO at 1:30 in the morning (bad)... then depart JRO at 2am (very bad)!! But I'd get back to Toronto at around 6pm which is nice... what would I even do arriving at 1:30 in the morning?? I didn't think guides were allowed to pick up late at night... I guess I have a lot more research to do lol...

Usa River
Level Contributor
216 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: change planes in Nairobi?

There is no problem with Turkish. If you booked already a tour or accomodation for the first night, the guide or driver will pick you up, you will not be left (as soon you have a reliable one). You will be surprised about the amount of cars waiting for their clients.

If your KLM flight is a Kenyan code share, then also normally no problem, because Kenyan has big share (I hink about 40%) in Precision, and Air France/KLM group a big share in Kenyan.

But if Turkish fits you more, just take it.

Johannes

Edited: 12 August 2014, 10:26
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,427 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: change planes in Nairobi?

When I first went to Tanz, difference between NAI and JRO was about $200. Not worth the hassle. Now, it is much more of a difference. But, again, Kenya forum might better assure the risks. If it is a definite code share, meaning you booked them all on KLM website, therpn it may be doable, but if you will get a separate PA ticket and a separate KLM ticket, then there is no responsibility on KLM to help rebook you.

Some would bus to NAI the night before, but then that means visa and hotel costs (and hassle).

If not used to international flights, I would suggest minimizing the number of transfers. Problem is you then have to balance cost vs times. As mentioned, TA flies every night and companies pick up all the time. There will be a bit of a convoy and steady stream going to Arusha from JRO so you can arrange transit with your TO. It may affect your safari departure plan and you will have to confirm with TO what they will do or recommend for your last day as well, so there may be some extra costs you haven't considered yet.

I am curious where you found the PA/KLM flight.....

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: change planes in Nairobi?

You are making some assumptions which are not correct. If you arrive at JRO in the middle of the night you will not be left stranded there. There are taxis there for every plane which arrives, and your safari operator will pick you up at the airport if you arrange for that, no matter when you arrive.

It would be better to get in to JRO at 2am than to try to make a connection in Nairobi with only a 1 1/2 hour connection time.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
171 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: change planes in Nairobi?

Thanks to both of you, the learning curve on going to Africa is huge and it's nice to have experienced people to ask these questions... so.... what is a codeshare and how do I know if that is what I am getting? I am looking on Redtag.ca and on most dates in mid-late May this flight is available: KLM from Toronto then returning with PA from JRO to Nairobi, 1:25 layover to change to KLM then on to Toronto. Both ways have a stop of a few hours in AMS. Honestly I am getting less concerned with price and more concerned with overall length and how many stops during the flight... I have not seen any with only one stop returning, always at least 2. I will keep my mind open about the Turkish flight, price is around the same... how do you feel about Ethiopian Air???

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: change planes in Nairobi?

Codeshare is an aviation business arrangement where two or more airlines share the same flight. A seat can be purchased on one airline but is actually operated by a cooperating airline under a different flight number or code. For example Delta and KLM have codeshared flights. I don't know if you are around an airline hub or not at Niagara Falls, but from one of he hubs (such as Detroit, Chicago, NYC, Atlanta, etc.) there are direct flights to Amsterdam, and then another flight to JRO from AMS. Perhaps you will need to catch a hop from Niagara Falls to a hub then on to AMS.

I have flown on Ethiopian Air several times to Tanzania, I would do it again.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,427 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: change planes in Nairobi?

Yes, everything about planning for Africa is a learning curve. Best to not use a third party website. Most have some airline they don't list and often they post a flight with too short of connection. I use AirMatrix for planning.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

It is the old system that travel agents used and it doesn't sell so no vested interest. Then I book on the airline's website. Occasionally, but rarely, it lists a flight that is not a code share. The site also allows you to put in some flexible dates, or to choose your cheapest dates from a range.

Coudersport...
Level Contributor
134 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: change planes in Nairobi?

I am flying Toronto to JRO on November 5, and returning on November 19th for a safari. I too looked into flying Turkish and like you, found their departure-arrival time to not be the best. I booked Delta-KLM, for $4,200 business class. Turkish was about $200.00 cheaper, but for me, the inconvenient flight times added with the stop over in Istanbul, made the Delta-KLM flight seem like a bargain.

I really wanted to fly out of Detroit, but the cheapest ticket from there was $7,050 I'll drive the 3 1/2 hours to Toronto to save nearly $3,000.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,011 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: change planes in Nairobi?

For the Precision (PW) flight out of JRO, a small plane, you do not have to be at airport 3/hrs prior. 2/hrs or 1.75/hrs is more than sufficient. It's the connection in NBO that 'might' be an issue if the PW flight is late departing* JRO. However, when you'r checking in at JRO the agent should also check you into the flight (KLM, KQ or even DL... they are all code shares) onto AMS with proper boarding passes all flights. And don't hesitate reiterating that you have a connection in NBO for onward to Europe/Toronto.

*if so and your bags don't catch up with you at NBO/AMS or YYZ... they'll eventually locate it and deliver it to your home in Toronto.

If you do decide to go with the Turkish Air flight, just arrange with tour operator to have driver/vehicle meet you for transfer to Arusha and hotel for a few hours Zzzzz.

As I've commented often - TK flight prices very tempting, but for their arrival and departure times... I sure wouldn't take these.