We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa Issue

Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Visa Issue

Hi.

Wondered if anybody can help. I am currently in Dar on a tourist Visa. When obtaining my Visa (In Tanzanian Embassy in London) I had to get it 2 weeks before i left, and not knowing the Visa could be post dated, had to accept the Visa Started from that Day.

I now have to renew my Visa for another 3 months (As im here 6 months total) but this will now expire on December 4th, when in fact im here until December 19th.

Current Visa Ends 4th Sept. What happens if I go to renew it on, say, the 19th? Would they refuse on the basis ive overstayed the previous Visa?

Or Renew my Visa which will expire 4th December and just leave 19th. What are the repurcussions at the airport if they notice this?

Sorry if I sound like im trying to get around the system, its just that ive heard they dont extend past 6 months.

Regards.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa Issue

What are you doing with a six month stay in Tz? Are you working or volunteering? If so, then you need something other than a tourist visa, you need to have a CTA (carrying on temporary assignment) or a Class C resident permit. Employment of any kind (that includes volunteering) is not allowed on a tourist visa and this will be stamped on your visa. The reason I ask this is because when you stay there that long it is typically done for volunteering or employment and this requires something other than a tourist visa; and immigration when you leave the country will notice this, they do look at dates issued. If you have an expired visa then you are subject to a fine or worse. Do not violate immigration laws while there, there are sharp repercussions when can happen to you.

I would go and get it renewed prior to Dec 4 and if they won't renew the visa then you would be forced to leave on the 4th and not wait until Dec 19.

The people you need to talk to before this gets critical is the people at the immigration office. They are the ones who know the law and what to do, and you will need to follow their advice.

Edited: 12 August 2014, 12:11
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa Issue

Hi Karl,

Im neither working OR volunteering. Im here on holiday, so am not breaking any laws.

I will see what immigration will say, it seems silly that they would allow a 6 month stay but not one for just 2 weeks longer.

Thanks for the advice.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,592 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa Issue

Strange that you are holidaying there till December, but only have a visa till September.

Surely you would only holiday for as long as you are allowed in the country?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,886 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa Issue

Leave Tanzania for two weeks in between and then return on September 19 or 20th.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,427 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa Issue

It's called 'rules.' if only permitted 6/months that doesn't mean 6.5/months.

Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa Issue

1. The reason im holidaying for 6 months but 'only' have a 3 month Visa is because a 6 month tourist Visa doesn't exist. You have to get 3 months, then renew.

2. Rules you say? Not that I would attempt it, but they go out the window with a flash of money so i'm sure its not set in stone.

3. That is a good option, maybe look into a 2 week holiday from holiday 😀

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,630 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa Issue

1. Tanzanian High Commission Visa form specifically states "Post Dated Visas are not issued."

2. The Visa 90 days runs from date of issue which is why folks don't (should not) apply too far in advance ( or more logically get it on arrival in TZ)

3. Whilst a visa can be renewed in country for a further 90 days you must apply BEFORE the other Visa has expired or you are classed as being in the country illegally and will be fined £30 per day of your overstay if not thrown in jail. And your Passport will be marked as a recorded overstayer so this would be your last Visa!

4. Same applies to the end of the 2nd term. Leave before it expires as in 3.

5. Please don't insult Tanzanian Immigration Officials by even suggesting they are susceptible to bribes. Or you will get another Jail sentence on top of the first.

6. The reason for the six month rule is quite clear. Over six months and you are in their country longer that your own wherever that is!

Your options are.

Leave before 4th September and get a new 90 day one when your re-enter after 19th.

Or renew on 2nd or so and then leave TZ permanently before that expires.

Do as you suggest and risk a fine and deportation.

Call me a cynic but I share peter scot's scepticism about your 'holiday'! I hope for your sake that Tanzanian Immigration don't!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa Issue

I have a longer visa, but am from US. Immigration is not one thing I would try to "get around" in Tanzania. I also would not attempt a bribe since they have recently cracked down on bribery. Would be a 50/50 chance of ending up in jail. Not worth the risk.

6 month holiday? Then why not cut it short a few days? That is what they will say. If it is a holiday, then it is flexible and can be shortened a few days. If it is anything else, you will be fined, or worse. They will be very skeptical of a holiday longer than 6 months (or even 3 months for that matter).

Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa Issue

Hi,

Nice to know people are still so skeptical nowadays. For the record,not that I need to explain myself, My Wife is here on a 6 month business Visa working for a non-profit, I have taken the time off to come out and support her. So yes, I am here 'On Holiday'.

In reference to bribes, dont even go there. I personally know people who have done this less than one year ago so dont insult my intelligence and make out it doesnt happen. Regardless, I myself would never go down that route.

And if the Tanzanian immigration decide to be overly skeptical, they can go for it, but I guarantee it would be foolish to do so.

Thanks for your 'Advice'.

Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa Issue

Thanks Steven, I agree. I would never attempt it. I think it says more about the Briber than the Money Taker. Circle of immorality would never end!

Thanks.