We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January Safari

Level Contributor
88 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
January Safari

Hi Everyone,

I am heading back to Tanzania after an amazing 2 weeks there last January.

This time I want to cut down costs and look at middle of the road lodges/camps. As a solo female who is a keen traveller I would also like to stay at camps that are not charging huge single supplements.

I would like to stay at 3 camps for 5-7 nights at each and then move over to the Masai Mara.

I would really appreciate anyone's advice on camps/lodges that can extend my stay with the animals to as long as possible.

Thanks, Sam

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January Safari

Time of year Sam?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,750 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: January Safari

Where did you visit/stay on your previous visit in Jan. Will provide us an idea of what might have been spent then and what now. But do know that Jan in Tzn is 'peak' season at peak prices. Off the top of my head not sure of Tnz camps that don't charge a single supplement.

Where to in Kenya? And for how many days. Jan rates are mostly at 'mid' season. Some properties have NO single supplement; others offer discounts for 'extended' stays - as 'stay 4/nts pay for 3, or 'stay 3/nts pay for 2... or other such combinations.

Edited: 14 August 2014, 21:37
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
928 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January Safari

Something you may wish to consider is the Southern Circuit. Fly to DAR and from there access by Coastal Airways Selous National Park and stay at Selous Impala Camp for 4 nights (after Jan 6 they offer 4 nights for the price of 3 and they have reasonable single rates), then move on to Ruaha National Park and stay at Kwihala Camp for 6 nights ( after Jan 6 they offer 3 nights for the price of 2 and a single rate). Both are rated well on TA....just do a search on these forums. Kwihala is especially well rated for its guiding.

I have not been yet but I am booked in at both in Dec 2014 after doing a northern circuit. You can then fly via Coastal airways from Ruaha to the Serengeti which I am doing in reverse. Or you could stay at another camp in Ruaha and return to either DAR or Arusha by plane. Lots of options. Check the ATR website for pix and descriptions.

Others will be along I am sure with suggestions based on their experiences. I thought I would chime in since I am a solo traveller and have just booked these properties and know of the pricing at the time you wish to stay.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January Safari

Sorry. Ignore my first post . I missed the clue in the title.

I would agree that January is Peak time in Serengeti and probably elsewhere in the north, and Southern parks would be a good alternate.. particularly the 3 for 2 deals with Adventure Camps. as they are associated with Coastal Aviation I know they can offer packages inclusive of flights. then whilst flying you may as well fly on to Kenya without the trek to an airstrip or routing via the west and border crossing at Isebania.

If you are set on the north again then Rhino Lodge at the crater is the most economical but in January you may find availability a problem this close in. Many places book out months ahead.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
928 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January Safari

Kwihala Camp was recently acquired from Adventure Camps by Asilia and no longer offers 4 for 3 deals but does offer 3 for 2 deals at certain times of the year which makes a 6 night stay for the price of 4 a very good deal. Selous Impala is still under Adventure Camps and does offer 4 for 3 deals in January. I used a TO who put together an air and camps package using these camps and their deals and Coastal Airways: air from Seronera-Ruaha-Selous-Zanzibar+6 nights Kwihala+4nights Selous Impala.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,862 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: January Safari

The takeover of Kwihala by Asilia has actually improved pricing for solo travellers off season, as not only are they doing 3-for-2 but there is no single supplement (whereas Adventure camps used to charge a single supplement although it was quite low).

One thing to watch out for though is the flights. I think if flying Serengeti-Ruaha, the flight goes via Arusha, and at least the Arusha-Ruaha leg is minimum 2 PAX so you may have to pay double fare for that leg, although if you can avoid single supplements in camps and you have longer stays this may work out overall as a small price to pay for being solo. If you try crossing to the Mara, you may find this an issue on those flights.

January is off season for the Northern Serengeti, so you may be able to avoid single supplements there, and find some good specials. In that case, I wouldn't bother with the Mara as well, but you could combine with Ruaha and Selous.

In Kenya there are quite a few single supplement free options at that time of year. I've stayed in Kicheche camps, and also Offbeat have no single supplements. But at the moment it's probably possible to negotiate no single supplement at most places.

Dar es Salaam...
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: January Safari

Why not try the southern Part of Tanzania this time , you can enjoy the boat safari in the rufiji river camp

The afternoon boat trip usually leaves camp at 4pm and returns at 6.30pm. It is an ideal trip if you have an afternoon free and would like to enjoy the beautiful scenery of the Rufiji River with its many hippos, crocodiles and beautiful birdlife. The sunset can also be stunning from the boat- there is nothing quite like the serenity of the river while the sun dips below the horizon

The next day you can depart for a full day game drive in the Selous Game reserve, In this safari it is possible to cover the largest area in a short time, increasing the chances of seeing a variety of animals & sights

The following day you can do a nature walk safari ,Walking safari takes interest into smaller things, such as birds, bugs, trees, flowers or tracks. Although you may come across bigger Game as well

8. Re: January Safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 06:16