We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self-drive from Arusha to hot air balloon & then Zanzibar?

Kailua Village...
2 posts
Save Topic
Self-drive from Arusha to hot air balloon & then Zanzibar?

Hello! My husband and I finish our Kilimanjaro trek on 7 Sept and will spend the night in Moshi.

We have a lot of adventure that we'd like to pack into our remaining 10 days in Tanzania. Our rough plan is:

8 Sept-catch early AM shuttle from Moshi to Arusha; self-hire camping Land Rover from Fortes for $150/day + fuel

8 Sept-11 Sept- self-drive to Masai Kopjes where we can catch a hot air balloon safari ($515/person) on 9 or 10 Sept; camp along the way for the 3 nights; return to Arusha

11 or 12 Sept-Fly to Zanzibar; not sure where to stay; would like to get dive cert

16 Sept-Fly back so we can fly out of JRO the morning of 17 Sept

Does anybody have advice or thoughts about any of our plans? We are doing this short notice, but we are relatively adventurous and low-maintenance.

-Advice on transpo from Moshi to Arusha in the early AM?

-Is the price for self-hire reasonable? I contacted Fortes because of the extremely positive reviews…is there a better choice in Moshi or Arusha for self-hire?

-Advice on driving route or camping locations between Arusha and Masai Kopjes?

-Where to stay in Zanzibar? Hoping to have some night life and a nice hotel after trekking/camping.

-Advice on getting dive certification in Zanzibar?

Thanks in advance!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self-drive from Arusha to hot air balloon & then Zanzibar?

Make certain that you have a GPS to get you there.

Riverside shuttle goes from Moshi to Arusha early in the morning (like about 7am) The last time I needed to do that I just went to the central bus station in Moshi and caught a bus to Arusha at about 7:30am. I bought 2 seats so that I could spread out. Took a little over an hor if I remember correctly.

Newcastle upon...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Self-drive from Arusha to hot air balloon & then Zanzibar?

For the shuttle on that time just catch the bus or ask that company you contacted for car hire to pick up you from Moshi or bring the car to Moshi , because it's not long way to Arusha .

About Zanzibar where you can chill your mind and have a peace just stay in Matemwe where you can also do the diving course and get that certificate there is Zanzibar Dives Point , PAID courses with One Ocean etc .

Kailua Village...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Self-drive from Arusha to hot air balloon & then Zanzibar?

Thanks for the info and specific companies to check out! The car company offered to pick us up in Moshi, but it was $150 extra, so we were looking at the bus for a cheaper option.

Karl, as for the GPS…I've read different thoughts on this. Will a standard US GPS work? Is there a specific program or chip that we should download or purchase?

For anyone else interested in a similar trip--The car company, Fortes, has been very helpful in helping us plan out a route with where to camp each evening. I'll do a complete review when we return, but so far I've been super impressed with them!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self-drive from Arusha to hot air balloon & then Zanzibar?

No a US will not work, you need to load up the maps for Tanzania/Africa. Do a search on here there are several posts which detail what you need to do. I would never do what you are planning to do without 1 of 2 things, either have a driver/guide who knows where they are going or a good GPS, roads are not marked there and you have to know what tree to turn at (and I drive there often as I have a vehicle there).

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,333 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self-drive from Arusha to hot air balloon & then Zanzibar?

What seems to be the successful combo for self drivers in Tanzania is a garmin GPS as it will load I think it is called Africa Tracks, but most seem to use the same independent mapping system. Look at the frequent questions on the right of this screen. The last question is a collection of posts and threads of information for the self drivers. Give it a gander.

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Self-drive from Arusha to hot air balloon & then Zanzibar?

Hello,

Can I ask what you ended up doing in the end? Did you try the hot air balloon?

We are about to go (late Oct) to Zanzibar for 7 nights and then try a safari and hot air balloon. Any recommendations would be great please.

Kind regards.

Louisa

nyc
Level Contributor
14,615 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Self-drive from Arusha to hot air balloon & then Zanzibar?

OP has already gone and returned, but have to wonder why travelers who already live in Paradise - Hawaii - where they can drive down the road and get their dive certification vs doing so on ZNZ. Then by having the certification ahead of time they could do some serious diving at Mafia or Pemba Islands?

8. Re: Self-drive from Arusha to hot air balloon & then Zanzibar?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2015, 05:15