We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tembea East Africa Safari

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Tembea East Africa Safari

Hello, just wonder is anyone here has experience with Tembea East Africa Safari (TEAS). We found their itinerary suits our holiday plan in safaribooking.com.But we there aren't many reviews to give us confidence. Would appreciate any feedback of this operator.

Thanks in advance, Jo

23 replies to this topic
melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,830 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tembea East Africa Safari

Where are they based...If doing a Tanzania safari why not use a local operator.

I have not heard of them but there are over 200 Tz operators and new ones starting almost weekly.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tembea East Africa Safari

Hi, Joo --

I googled this company and discovered that they offer set itineraries for Kenya and Tanzania. The details look extremely suspicious to me.

For example, they're offering a 10-day "small group" tour, at "luxury" lodges for roughly $2000 per person.

Then, just below that tour they offer a 7-day "private" safari, also in Tanzania, at "mid-range" accommodations for the same price.

There's something really wrong here. This makes no sense. Given the cost of park fees alone, these prices have to be deceptive. They do not provide details of the lodges/camps, and all the the information you get regarding the vehicle is that it's a "4x4."

You cannot imagine the inconveniences possible in a badly maintained vehicle, you have no way of know what they mean by "luxury" or even "mid-range" accommodations, and you have no guarantee of the quality of the guiding.

I think you should concentrate on finding an outfitter based solely in Tanzania and already vetted by good reviews from knowledgeable people. On the right side of this page under "Top questions about Tanzania" the fourth bullet point gives you some excellent choices of operators. Unless you have a good reason for preferring a group tour, you should know that most Tanzanian northern circuit safaris are private trips -- with your own vehicle and guide/driver for the duration of the trip and accommodations chosen and booked through your operator well in advance. And the prices quoted by Tembea seem to me unrealistic and strange.

You should, I think, do some research and read some of the materials under the other bullet points above before deciding what kind of safari you're really looking for. Noexpert is right -- there are many, many safari operators in Tanzania and some of them are absolutely wonderful. Unfortunately, some of them are truly terrible, and the only way you can find out which are which is to rely upon the experiences of others. This is a good site to use for your research and I encourage to to explore options before making a commitment.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tembea East Africa Safari

Addendum: I just scrolled down and discovered the list of lodges they seem to be offering for a $2000, 10-day group safari.

I don't believe it. The cost of these accommodations alone would be nearly $2000 for 10 days, and this doesn't include park fees, the cost of the vehicle and your guide(s)/driver(s), fuel, and a reasonable profit margin. There's just something wrong here -- I just don't believe these prices.

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tembea East Africa Safari

hi, thanks very much for all the useful information.

Sandyleelee, any advise of the budget range should be expected for a 10day safarie in Tanzania, for a mid-ranged comfortable i.e. not camping, but neither luxury..

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tembea East Africa Safari

Hi, Joo -- As prices continue to rise, that budget range obviously increases on an annual basis. In my experience, you can find very good TO's that will put together a mid-range safari for anything from $300 to $500 per person per day -- or even more, even for mid-range, depending upon the time of year and the locations visited.

For example, in February, prices rise in the southern Serengeti plains and Ndutu area, with the migration in attendance and the fantastic experience of a million-and-a-half wildebeest in their 3-week-long birthing season. You'll pay a premium for camps/lodges then. As the migration works its way into the western corridor, prices rises there and start dropping at Ndutu, and so on throughout the wildebeest's route. Particularly expensive tend to be camps/lodges in the Kogatende area of the far north where the Mara River crossings made famous by National Geographic occur around August - October. Low season pretty much everywhere will be roughly April/May during the "long rains" when some camps will be closed entirely because roads will be washed out or camps to wet to be habitable. Park fees for the Ngorongoro Crater are notoriously hefty. There are so many issues affecting cost, it's hard to be even approximately "specific."

Your best approach would be to put together a rough itinerary and then shop it out to, say 8 - 10 outfitters mentioned in the 4th bullet point in the "top questions about Tanzania" column on the top right side of this page. In that way, you can compare the responses -- some companies will suggest alternate routing or camps/lodges, but you'll get a better idea of an "average" price you can expect, and then begin to winnow down the list of operators whose ideas and prices seem to match what you're looking for. It's a rather tedious process, I know, but that's how it's usually approached for a northern circuit private safari. And, in fact, the process itself can be part of the fun, raising your anticipation and providing you with an opportunity to learn a great deal even during just the planning stages!

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,830 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tembea East Africa Safari

If I may add I would expect a budget safari would cost between $250 and $ 350 pp depending on accommodation.

St Neots, UK
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tembea East Africa Safari

We were working with them, when I saw your post. I decided to look them up in TATO and KATO, which their web site says they are members. Unfortunately, neither tourism organization had them listed as members. So we asked them for their tourism license number, to check on them that way and we haven't heard back. I'll let you know how it turns out. We have also made contact with another agency (recommended through the agency we work for) which is legitimate and based in TZ. I'll let you know how that turns out, as well. Shame, they were so promising!!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tembea East Africa Safari

When I see something that looks too good to be true, it's usually not true. :-)

That's why it's really important to compare offers from an assortment of suppliers. Low-ball prices often reflect either fraud or the kind of corner-cutting which makes even those low prices far too high for the actual value. And, in the case of safari, they can even prove dangerous.

Be careful out there, people.

9. Re: Tembea East Africa Safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 December 2014, 17:35

Gothenburg, Sweden
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tembea East Africa Safari

Hi Kipriarty,

Can you let me know how that turned out at the end? I'm planning to book them and I would like to see if you finally worked with them or not anymore and if you did how was the experience. I have checked them out in several places and they have good reviews.

Cheers,

Boli

Reply to: Tembea East Africa Safari
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted