We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self drive safari with Roadtrip Tanzania

Tilburg, The...
1 post
Self drive safari with Roadtrip Tanzania

Just wanted to share my experience with you :)

My boyfriend and I went on a self drive holiday with Roadtrip Tanzania in September 2015. We hired a car and booked the Bush to Beach circuit of 17 days, from Arusha to Dar es Salaam. Having the freedom to stop anywhere you like is simply amazing.

The car, a Toyota Rav4, was in good condition and performed great during the road trip. They gave us GPS, a detailed roadmap and travel book, so it was easy to find our way around. I was surprised by the quality of the roads but Google Maps is so wrong about the driving times. Definitely add 1 or 2 hours on top of what Google Maps is indicating.

Thanks to Roandtrip Tanzania for loads of travel tips and excellent advice. Many many thanks to you Andrew, for your assistance during our trip ☺. I don’t think we could have done this adventure without you! Best, Dasja

28 replies to this topic
Warrington, United...
8 posts
1. Re: Self drive safari with Roadtrip Tanzania

Fantastic.

It is easy to move to various tourists destinations through self drive and the big advantage is you have a fully control of your schedule.

Thanks.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
250 posts
26 reviews
15 helpful votes
2. Re: Self drive safari with Roadtrip Tanzania

Hi.

Self drive safari is just what I was looking for!

Is it true that you are not allowed to drive in Serengeti? Did you go to Serengeti using some other transportation? How did you do it?

Doing a self drive safari ... did you see many animals?

Thanks for your reply,

Katarina

Munich
Level Contributor
11,351 posts
5 reviews
7 helpful votes
3. Re: Self drive safari with Roadtrip Tanzania

KatSlov,

this is totally wrong. We did two self-drive safaris from Arusha to the Serengeti. We camped 20 days in the serengeti during this self- drive safari in our roof tent. And we did see lots and lots of animals, thousands of Wildebeast, hundrets of Elefants and hundrets of Lions.

Beate

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
250 posts
26 reviews
15 helpful votes
4. Re: Self drive safari with Roadtrip Tanzania

Hi, Beate! Thanks for your reply! Those are great news!

Did you get the roof tent with the car?

Munich
Level Contributor
11,351 posts
5 reviews
7 helpful votes
5. Re: Self drive safari with Roadtrip Tanzania

Yes, we got it together. And also got all the camping equipement we needed.

We rent with Tanzanian Pioneers in Arusha.

Beate

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
250 posts
26 reviews
15 helpful votes
6. Re: Self drive safari with Roadtrip Tanzania

Beate, did you write a trip report or something? I'll be really interested in your detailed programme, prices and what you saw, where you drove.

Munich
Level Contributor
11,351 posts
5 reviews
7 helpful votes
7. Re: Self drive safari with Roadtrip Tanzania

Yes I wrote a trip report of our first trilp. But it is in german and it says no prices.:

namibia-forum.ch/forum/…266133

When you want more Information about prices, please let me know.

Beate

Munich
Level Contributor
11,351 posts
5 reviews
7 helpful votes
8. Re: Self drive safari with Roadtrip Tanzania

And for the 2. trip I wrote here:

www.reisedurchamerika.net/showthread.php…

Beate

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
250 posts
26 reviews
15 helpful votes
9. Re: Self drive safari with Roadtrip Tanzania

Thanks!

I speak German, too, so it's not a problem.

Amsterdam, The...
2 posts
1 review
10. Re: Self drive safari with Roadtrip Tanzania

Hi, we are Marjolein en Gijs from Amsterdam. Two years ago we did a roadtrip through Uganda with Roadtrip Uganda, and now we decided to explore Tanzania with the same company as they recently openend shop in Arusha. We rented a Rav4 with camping gear and drove ourselves. We mostly camped in Tanzania, as this greatly reduces the costs and we like the outdoors. The campsites are lovely and really well maintained, and make sure not to miss out on the beach campsites! We started in Arusha and dropped of the car in dar es Salaam. Again, great service, good quality of the car and camping gear and all delivered with a smile!

Reply to: Self drive safari with Roadtrip Tanzania
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted