We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cell phone

albany new york
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
cell phone

I am going to Tanzania for 7 weeks. Where can I rent or buy a cell phone that I can use to make calls within Tanzania and to and from the US.

Thank You. Diane

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: cell phone

Hi

You can buy a fairly good Nokia phone for circa $80 and they use pre paid cards here.

2. Re: cell phone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2008, 15:02
Webster Groves...
Level Contributor
260 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cell phone

You can rent a satellite phone, but it's rather expensive. I rented one for a month because my father was sick while we were travelling and wanted access no matter where we were in Tanzania and Uganda. This may be unnecessary since we saw cell phone use just about everywhere, including a guide on a chimp walk in Uganda in the Kibale forest! Coverage seems to be pretty good.

You can check out prices awww.allroadsat.com or just google satellite phone rental. When comparing prices look at what an outbound call to the States will be because it may get expensive really fast. It was $3 to $4 per minute on the cell phone we were looking at whereas the sat. phone was only $1.30/minute.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cell phone

You can purchase a cell phone in Dar there's several telephone shops on Samora Street. In Arusha there's several telephone shops on Sokoine Street. The two services which have the largest service areas are Vodacom and Zain (used to be Celtel). Their International rates to the USA are both 400 TSH per minute (at 1,150 TSH = $1).

Webster Groves...
Level Contributor
260 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cell phone

Does that mean Celtel is going to have to re-paint all their building across Eastern Africa?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,460 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cell phone

Again folks, this original post is 2/yrs old!

There have been many subsequent threads on this subject with more current information.

7. Re: cell phone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 09:24