We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Karl info please

london
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Karl info please

You appear to have alot of information.Please tell me about the swiss cottage garden hotel in upanga in dar.Any info will be appreciated.There website appears ok. DO one normally negotiate on room rates quoted?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Karl info please

I don't have any information on this hotel. From the website and pictures I would say that it's a typical low cost hotel in Dar. From their website I would say that the prices are a little high for this kind of a hotel, especially since it's quite far outside the city center (during high traffic it will take quite a while to get to the city center from there). You probably won't be able to negotiate a price, but I would try. I would say that this kind of a hotel would normally be about $30 - $40 in Dar including breakfast. If you want to try other hotels I always stay at the Econolodge in Dar when I want a good cheap hotel, cost will be in the $20 - $30 range.

london
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Karl info please

Thanks again Karl.You always seem to recommend the econolodge?? commission ? or have they got a good bar maid..ha ha.I will look for their site.Thanks again

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Karl info please

No I get no commissions from them; I just like to stay there for a lot of reasons, such as it rather safe, clean, has hot water showers, and is inexpensive with quite a few good restaurants in the area. In addition, I have come to find some good friends in the area and enjoy visiting with them. And they have no bar so no bar maid; besides at my age that would attract me only while I'm there, but I'd never go somewhere for that. They have no website that I know of.

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Karl info please

Hi

I have used Swiss Garden many time for my clients without a problem, and know that most of the Doctors from Ifrakara malaria insitute use Swiss garden.

Good if you are coming from the airport and dont wish to go all the way into town.

Price...........hard to say if high but often full so one would think its worth it :-)

BTW the owner is a friend so maybe my opinoin is a tad biased :-)

london
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Karl info please

Thanks achnab

Do they do basic meals.Sounds a safe place,but I think a little on the pricey side.So you would recommend them?.Are you a tour guide?.More info if you have any.Very tempted but would look for a discount.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Karl info please

Achnab will not tout his own business on this forum, but I will. He is a touring and safari operator in Arusha, of the highest quality. When you go with Base Camp Tanzania you know that his clients come first. I have absolutely no business connection with this company.

7. Re: Karl info please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 20:34