We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanga hotels

Which Dar es Salaam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tanga hotels

I will be visiting Tanga in Jan/Feb.

Any recommendations for a hotel medium priced,in good location also providing meals? Needs to be clean and safe

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanga hotels

The best hotel in Tanga is the Mkonge Hotel. The last time I stayed there (I've stayed there more times then I could count) the cost was $50, don't know what it might be now. They have very good rooms, a good restaurant (sometimes slow, but they all are), a swimming pool, and a great patio lawn area with a bar overlooking the bay. All rooms are air conditioned.

A great restaurant across the street and down the alley is the Kuboko also, the Yacht Club is down the street (you can get a one day membership) and there is a swimming club next door.

I couldn't recommend this hotel higher.

london
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanga hotels

thanks Karl.You have come to my rescue again.

Oslo, Norway
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanga hotels

I take it Karl has not been to Tanga International Conference Center yet :)

If you're looking for a peaceful place to stay I would recommend it. It is absolutely safe, it is all new built (I believe it opened in January 08), and the food and people who work there are great. The only downside is it's just outside the center of Tanga city. You take the dalla dalla to Mwahako, it's about ten minutes I'd guess.

It's quite a big area, and you have your own private place to go swimming.

I loved staying at TICC. I also visited Mkonge for a coffee, and it semmes very nice also.

Mkonge is like a regular hotel, while TICC is a lot bigger, and all the rooms are on the ground floor. Take a look at www.meetingpointtanga.com !

(I stayed there for 6 weeks and I really liked it there. Since it's so new, not many people know of it yet, and there were few other guests while I was there)

london
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanga hotels

linda mzungu,this sounds and looks a very interesting place .do they accommodate for a night or so?Do you have to belong to a group or what.?

I have been intouch with them and awaiting reply.Is it difficult to get to.Please give more details.

Many thanks again

Oslo, Norway
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanga hotels

You can stay for one night or more, no problem. I expect they will reply to your email soon, as there's always someone working in the office.

You get there by taking the dalla to Mwahako. That's the village nearby. You can even pay some more and the dalla will take you all the way. But I would recommend to get off at Mwahako, and rent either the bicycle or motorcycle-guys. They'll drive you there safely. Otherways it's a 30 minute walk. I'd recommend the motorcycle :)

For the first time you arrive you can also take a taxi (of course that's always an option, I was just thinking it would be easier if you have a lot of luggage. The people at TICC have a safe and nice taxidriver that has a fixed price from the city to TICC. When I went there (as a part of a party of five) we got all sorts of information and help before we even arrived in Tanzania.

Oh, they also have wireless internet, but you have to pay for it, and it's very slow, I guess like everywhere else in Tanga.

And if you have some money to spend, you would never regret it if you spent them on a trip with their boat to the sand-bank, it's an amazing experience!

It's a great place, and I also feel good about recommending them since they have a great awareness and care for the community, so it's a good place to spend money, cause it will benefit many people who might not have been given the chance to school or work otherways :)

london
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tanga hotels

lindamzungu thanks for that information.I am hoping to spend a day or so in jan/feb next year.I wont have a lot of luggage as I will be staying at muheza and just need somewhere for relaxation.

I am waiting to hear from them soon about rates etc.

Once again thank you

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tanga hotels

I have not been there, and don't know of it. I've stayed at many hotels in Tanga, but never at the TICC. I'll be going there early next year and will look them over. How far is it from Tanga town?

Oslo, Norway
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tanga hotels

I don't remember how many kilometres from Tanga city it is, but I found that they have a google-map-link at their site:

webforum.com/meetingpointtanga/home/page.asp…

(click the link top right. it was too long to insert here)

So this might give you an indication.

I never really payed much attention to how long the dalla-ride took when I was there, as time felt rather unimportant when in "Africa-mode" :) But I guess around 20 minutes.

london
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tanga hotels

linda mzungu,I have just had a reply saying it cost 22000 tzshillings for a room with continental breakfast if you are a resident?? How can I be a resident if I am visiting Tanga???

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tanga hotels

You must either have a Tz passport or another country passport with a resident permit. I have one and the hotel rates in many hotels and guest houses are different for residents then they are for those traveling on a tourist visa.