We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upanga in Dar

Sweden
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Upanga in Dar

Hello!

Am planning to spend three months in Dar working at Muhimbili University Hospital and have been offered an apt om Kalenga Street in Upanga. Is this a safe neighbourhhood?

All kind of tips and recommendations on what to see or do in Dar for three months are appreciated.

Thank you!

Female doctor

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upanga in Dar

The Upanga area of Dar is rather close in to the city center, so it's right near to where most things are located. It would say that it's as safe as anywhere in a city of 3 million people. I don't think I would walk about after dark anywhere in the city.

You will find plenty to do in 3 months and the longer you are there the more you will find. There's some rather nice resorts at Bagamoyo where I go on hot humid weekends to catch the sea breezes and you might find that interesting. Actually, I would advise you to go into the country's center on the weekends, just catch a bus and travel into the countryside. There you will discover smaller towns and village life, which is different from the city (as it is in most countries). I'm certain that you will find time to take in a safari and see all the wildlife that Tanzania has to offer; but don't neglect to discover the people there, I have found them to be the most hospitable people in the world.

Helsinki
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Upanga in Dar

I will staying in Kitonga Upanga, which is very near to Kalenga street, if you are intereted in company get back to me, here is my contact:rupia69@hotmail.com

3. Re: Upanga in Dar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2009, 06:21