We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domestic airport

Which Dar es Salaam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Domestic airport

I am flying to Zanzibar on Saturday morning with Coastal. I was told to be there 30 minutes before my flight, but do you know if it's best to be a little earlier than that? I've never flown domestically before, but I am so used to being at airports early.

Also, would anyone know roughly how long it would take to get from Markham Suites (near Shoppers Plaza) to the domestic airport at 6.30am on a Saturday morning? On the way here, we got stuck in the morning rush, so I'm not sure how much time to allow.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Domestic airport

Despite all the bad publicity Africa in general gets, I don't think I've been in more efficient airports - Dar and Maun are 2 of the best. Maun International Arrivals to Domestic departures took about 10 seconds.

Dar domestic is a little busier, but once they tick your name of the list and you sit in the lounge, you still have about 25minutes to browse the good shop, and grab a local coffee.

Cant help with the journey from Markham, but I would think it will be quieter at that time of day...

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Domestic airport

For the drive time, ask the exact same question to a couple of Dar taxi drivers the night before and go with the guy who tells you the greatest number of minutes.

Tanzania
Level Contributor
516 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Domestic airport

Half an hour is plenty or 45 mins max. There is a little coffee shop there and the coffee is pretty good. Last time I left Dar that early the traffic was not bad yet but better just to ask around to be on the safe side.

4. Re: Domestic airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2010, 06:17