We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

time you need to travel from Dar to Arusha

Netherlands
14 posts
Save Topic
time you need to travel from Dar to Arusha

Is it also possible to travel by shuttle bus from Dar-es-Salaan to Arusha to start safari. What is de price per person.

Where can you make reservation and how long does it take.

Also when the safari is done do we need to travel from Arusha to Nairobi where we have to take our flight back.

Is is safe when we are leaving Arusha on the 19 th August in de morning to have our flight on the 20th (8 oçlock in the morning)?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: time you need to travel from Dar to Arusha

personally I would fly. yes there is a cost. but do you really want to be cramped in a bus for most of the day. Also the buses really are not the safest transport.

I have used a bus on one occation, driven twice and flew the rest of the times.

Fly and spend some time relaxing in Arusha

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: time you need to travel from Dar to Arusha

I take the bus most everywhere that I go in Tanzania. Don't take the real rickety ones as it is true that they are not safe. But if you choose a good bus they are as safe as anything else there, they do get a bad rap though, mostly urban legends.

There are many buses that ply the Dar es Salaam to Arusha route. Many leave early in the morning and arrive in Arusha mid afternoon. I would suggest Dar Express, Kilimanjaro, Scandinavia, or I think Shabiby operates there also. You catch the buses at the Ubungo Bus Terminal on Morogoro Road in Dar es Salaam. Most any taxi will get you there. I would have my ticket in advance if possible. The bus kiosks are in front of the Ubungo Terminal, easily seen. They also have men standing outside the kiosks selling tickets, make certain they are official ticket sellers as they will all have identification tags around their necks and most will be wearing a white shirt. A ticket from Dar to Arusha will cost about $20. Take a snack along as the food along the way leaves something to be desired typically. I wouldn't load up on drinks as they don't make all that many bush stops. All passengers must have a seat.

Personally, I think it's the only way to travel about Tanzania. All the buses have a speed limiter on them but I think it's set rather high. They are all experienced drivers.

Getting to Nairobi you can take one of the many shuttle buses that go from Arusha to Nairobi. The Riverside shuttle is located in midtown Arusha. The Impala is located at the Impala Hotel. Again, get your tickets in advance to ensure a seat. Cost will be about $30 - $40 for the shuttle to Nairobi. They make a stop at the airport. You can also book a ticket online at the Riverside Shuttle, google them and you'll see the times of departure. You can go there on the 19th for a 20th flight. You might want to take the shuttle into midtown Nairobi if you are staying overnight and then catch a taxi to the airport the next morning.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: time you need to travel from Dar to Arusha

Karl has dealt well with the buses. Mainliners are quite safe for the DAr-Arusha run.

The 14.00 shuttle from Arusha will reach Nairobi around 18.00 or a little later depending on the road works.

There are a couple of Hotels near the Airport for you to stay at before going to Airport for Check IN for the 8.00 flight on 20th.

Do check you have Yellow Fever Cert and whether a Transit Visa for Kenya will suffice.

Edited: 23 March 2010, 12:54
4. Re: time you need to travel from Dar to Arusha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2010, 06:17