We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency - dollars vs shillings?

Edinburgh, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Currency - dollars vs shillings?

I'm going to Tanzania next week for 7 weeks. I'm taking some US dollars as my main cash, but I'm also going to buy some Tanzanian shillings at Dar es Salaam airport since you can't buy them in advance here in the UK. Can anyone advise how often I will need shillings - or can most things be paid for with dollars? I'm mainly thing about things like taxis, food etc as I'm certain that touristy stuff will accept dollars.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,852 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Currency - dollars vs shillings?

This is the site I use for currency exchange and creating a cheat sheet:

www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

After you get the current exchange rate, believe right below are words to the effect: 'create cheat sheet' (that's a tongue twister :-)

You can request a cheat sheet for USD/TSH and TSH/USD and likewise for CAD/TSH and TSH/CAD.

For USD you get a slightly better rate for USD$50 and $100 vs smaller denominatiions. On our recent visit (month ago) the rate was 1580TSH/$1USD, for these higher denominations.

Edited: 07 December 2012, 18:24
Fairfax, California
Level Contributor
515 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Currency - dollars vs shillings?

4sandi:

PERFECTO! That is exactly what I was looking for! I am horrible with numbers but love to haggle. This cheat sheet will make it easier!

Mucho Gracias!!!!

Susie

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Currency - dollars vs shillings?

I have a question about the departure tax at the Dar airport. Could somebody shed some light on this? Is there a departure tax and if so, how much and in what currency?

Thanks

Salima

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Currency - dollars vs shillings?

First, you will get better answers to your questions if you post a new question (by clicking on As, a Question, at the top of this post.

There is always a departure tax, but typically it is put in with the ticket cost and the carrier collects the tax. At times they don't have this in the ticket cost and they will be collecting it as you leave. It is stated in US Dollars, but they will accept most any hard currency including local currency, but don't expact change back. Right now I don't think they are doing that on departure, it is in the ticket.

25. Re: Currency - dollars vs shillings?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2014, 07:17