We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dar to Zanzibar: Ferry or fly?

Haverford...
Level Contributor
259 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dar to Zanzibar: Ferry or fly?

Hi all,

We'll be spending four nights in Zanzibar in June, but we'll arrive at Dar airport too late to catch a connecting flight. Does it make more sense to spend the night in the city and taking a morning ferry, or spending the night near the airport and flying?

Thanks a lot!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dar to Zanzibar: Ferry or fly?

I typically always take the ferry over, not certain why just always do. But when you are flying in it would be much easier to just stay near the airport (albeit there are not many hotels near the airport) and catch a flight the next day. The only hotel nearby the airport will be the Transit Hotel (you can google them), which is a local hotel so don't expect any stars on it but it is clean and very close. They will come and pick you up, or you can catch a cab. You can also book at night online.

If you go into the city center, then you might want to consider the New Africa hotel which is rather close to the ferry docks. You can book them online also.

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dar to Zanzibar: Ferry or fly?

Will depend on your interest.

I agree with above details.

The only option nearby Airport is Transit Motel Airport.Which is about US$ 40 - 50 a night and US$ 5 for transfer,is clean and of standard to pass the night.

Alternatively,have a city centre option(there are many),then take a ferry to Zanzibar.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
269 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dar to Zanzibar: Ferry or fly?

I took the ferry earlier this year and wish I had flown. I took seasickness pills before the ferry and didn't lose it, but did feel extremely queasy the whole trip. Also we thought we would save time with the ferry, but they had us arrive an hour early so we may as well have taken the flight.

Lyon, France
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dar to Zanzibar: Ferry or fly?

i took the ferry in 2005 but on my recent trip took the flight. flight fares have gone down now and are very close to the ferry prices. i booked myself a dar zanzibar flight ticket on http://www.travelstart.co.tz - zanzibar was just amazing

5. Re: Dar to Zanzibar: Ferry or fly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2013, 10:19