We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last scheduled flight out of Dar to Zanzibar?

Gibraltar
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Last scheduled flight out of Dar to Zanzibar?

Hey guys,

Would appreciate some help if anyone know what time is the last flight out of DAR to Zanzibar. I ve checked so many little airlines now and I m not sure there are any flight after 17h15 to the Island :(.

We arriving at 20h05 on the 20/05/12 in Dar and would like to hop onto a connection directly... any recommendations to avoid spending a night around the airport is welcome :)

Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last scheduled flight out of Dar to Zanzibar?

Try Coastal Aviation ( coastaltravels.cc/flight-booking/public-book… ). I believe they have a 17:45 DAR to Zanzibar.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,230 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last scheduled flight out of Dar to Zanzibar?

Coastals flight at 17.45 is leaving over two hours before OP is due to arrive.

Looks like a night in DAR is on the cards. Make the best of it.

Whilst ZNZ do boast 24 hour opening times I would not count on it and most puddle jumpers like to stick to daylight hours.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last scheduled flight out of Dar to Zanzibar?

Ah yes, missed that. Looks like a night in DAR.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last scheduled flight out of Dar to Zanzibar?

If it's that important then contact Coastal Air and charter a flight there. Will be costly.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last scheduled flight out of Dar to Zanzibar?

The benefits of scrambling to arrive in ZNZ at night (which itself is rather disorienting and would require taxi to a hotel in Stone Town or an even further taxi to the resorts) seem to be sort of minimal compared to just staying in Dar, getting a good night sleep and leaving early AM. I stayed at the Hilton in Dar a few weeks ago...very reasonable...about 25 minutes from the airport in light traffic...may be longer if still "rush hour" when you arrive. The Hotel itself is very nice and reasonably affordable. Staying around the Dar airport is very hard...there are a few small guesthouses which may market themselves as "hotels"...but trust me you won't want to stay there unless you are a seasoned African traveler.

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Last scheduled flight out of Dar to Zanzibar?

There is no Local Flight to Zanzibar after 20h00.

Must overnight in Dar and take a flight on the second Day.

Can stay at Transit Airport Motel in order to cut off unnecessary cost and time effectiveness.

The reason is that,Airport Authority does not want flights to land after 19h00 due to the Standard of Airport in terms of landing safety after dark.

But few flights on a very tight schedule have been allowed to land by paying a lot of landing fee to change the rule.

Like Precision Air from Nairobi which land arroud 20h20 and Ethiopian Airline which leaves at 03h45.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,230 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last scheduled flight out of Dar to Zanzibar?

So paying more money makes it safer? Interesting! I think it may be more a case of paying for "special hours" and Staff time in attendance.

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Last scheduled flight out of Dar to Zanzibar?

Mfuwe ,this is Africa.

Most of Staffs are working more than normal working hours.

That is the issue and not Staff attendance on special hours.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,230 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last scheduled flight out of Dar to Zanzibar?

Ethiopian Airways and Precision are International Operators and governed by international operational rules and would not jeopardise their operational certificate to carry passengers if Safety was an issue. It is fees and overtime, nothing more, nothing less.

Gibraltar
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Last scheduled flight out of Dar to Zanzibar?

Thanks you all for your feedback! much appreciated.. might be back with more questions for you all ;)