We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel From Uganda to Dar/Zanzibar

Which Dar es Salaam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brandon, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Travel From Uganda to Dar/Zanzibar

Spending 6 months in Uganda (Fort Portal) would love to see either Dar or Zanzibar. Any preferences? Popular ways of getting there that are affordable? We are a young couple and are able to travel via plane or bus any estimates on rates? What season is best to go? Is bus transportation safe? I understand it would be a lot longer going around lake Victoria. Any tips would be extremely helpful!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,784 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel From Uganda to Dar/Zanzibar

Well if you don't want t go around Lake Victoria you must either sail or fly over it.

Regular flights from EBB to JRO and DAR.

From FP you could make your way to Masaka and then over the border into TZ and Bukoba. From there catch an overnight Ferry to Mwanza and a train to DAR.

Or regular fast coaches from Kampala via Nairobi to Arusha and DAR.

I think they take around 36 hours.

I should avoid March-late April when it rains a lot.

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel From Uganda to Dar/Zanzibar

It takes time on ground transfers although is a cheapest option ,almost two days.

Can Take Air Uganda Direct from Entebbe to Dar or to Zanzibar via Dar.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel From Uganda to Dar/Zanzibar

What are your interests in seeing either place? Most people who come to Tanzania was to go on safari, which most would do from Arusha. Again, what are your interests. If it's beach time then go to Zanzibar.

Brandon, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel From Uganda to Dar/Zanzibar

Thanks, we will definitly fly as we both would be taking time off work so we want as much time in Tanzania as possible. We were interested in going for a week as a relaxing, beach style get away. Been looking at pictures of traveller's experiences and both Dar and Zanzibar look very nice. Any differences in prices? recommendations for medium priced hotels? Good areas/bad areas? What are some general pros and cons of both places? Thanks so much everyone for your help.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel From Uganda to Dar/Zanzibar

There are some nice resorts at Bagamoyo just about 45km North of Dar, where I would go rather then to Zanzibar (but that's just my preference). The beach there is not like the beaches in Zanzibar so that may be a deal breaker for you.

There's also a nice area called Pangani which is just outside Tanga on up the coast. Nice beaches there, and not all that many people. Coastal Aviation has a flight there daily I believe (Dar to Tanga, $100).

6. Re: Travel From Uganda to Dar/Zanzibar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2012, 14:14
7. Re: Travel From Uganda to Dar/Zanzibar

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2012, 14:14
8. Re: Travel From Uganda to Dar/Zanzibar

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 03 August 2013, 10:15