We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thing to do in Dar es salaam

Which Dar es Salaam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
5 posts
Save Topic
Thing to do in Dar es salaam

A group of 5 will be in Tanzania for 4 months on a budget and studying internationally what are some of the must see and do thing enjoyable for younge under 25

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thing to do in Dar es salaam

Go to the Top questions about Dar es Salaam on the left side for all details

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thing to do in Dar es salaam

Look at the list to on the right side of this web page, 3 down and the last on the list.

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thing to do in Dar es salaam

yes,right side

Dar es salaam
Level Contributor
79 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thing to do in Dar es salaam

Bongoyo/Budya island

Visit Zanzibar

Pugu Hills

Climb uluguru in Morogoro

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
144 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thing to do in Dar es salaam

I just returned 3 days ago from Dar where I spent 4 days with a friend I had met previously in Kenya. I wanted to spend time seeing how the Tanzanians lived, and I didn't have much interest in Dar specifically.

I found a traffic choked city with little of interest (at least to me), filled with smog from all the belching vehicles in a traffic jam. It took us 2 hours to go 7 miles to the airport--so plan accordingly for flights or bus schedule. We were in one jam about 30 miles out of town that was so bad that everyone just turned off their car and the matatus emptied and those people walked toward town. We were stopped at a stand still for 1.5 hours before crawling back to Dar.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thing to do in Dar es salaam

I would also suggest that you go to the Ubungo Bus Terminal and take a bus to other places, such as Bagamoyo great place to catch some sea breezes on hot days and this is also a very historical place, Morogoro about a 3 hour bus ride, if you're interested in academic kinds of things the Sokoine University of Agriculture is located there and I would suggest going there and seeing their Hero Rat project (google this). They train rats to sniff out landmines.

You might also go to Dodoma, the capital, on a weekend. It would be a 6 hour bus ride, great interior city and they have the largest university in Tz there called the University of Dodoma. You could also visit the Bunge (Parliament) and things like that there.

Iringa, another 6 hour bus ride from Dar, is also a great city to visit, up in the Southern Highlands a nice university there called Tumaini University.

You might also want to do some gameviewing while you are there. You can do an inexpensive small safari by going to Mikumi National Park by taking the bus to Morogoro, then the bus to Iringa and getting off at Mikumi Village. Go to the Genesis Motel and stay there and have them arrange for a safari to Mikumi. They also arrange safaris at VETA (vocational Education) and have some rooms there to rent out. This would make a nice weekend adventure.

7. Re: Thing to do in Dar es salaam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 15:17