We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus to Dar es Salaam from Arusha

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
bus to Dar es Salaam from Arusha

Hi,

after seeing the cost of flying from Arusha to Dar es Salaam what is the best bus company to use ? How long is the journey and which is the best safe and reasonable priced hotel/guest house in Dar?

After a few days I want to do a return journey back to Arusha by bus.Thanks.

Dar es Salaam
Level Contributor
58 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus to Dar es Salaam from Arusha

the journey is almost 8 or 9 hours. try Dar express, is the best. and what is a reasonable price for you?

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus to Dar es Salaam from Arusha

thanks for your info.......I think over $200 for one way flight may be out my reach. 9 hours bus drive is long but cheaper than flying!

Edited: 10 August 2012, 20:17
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
154 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus to Dar es Salaam from Arusha

Kilimanjaro Express is another good company.

Be aware thought that the bus ride may take in excess of of 9 hrs. It's been longer since introduction of regulations that require drivers to report on checkpoints, and arriving early incurs significant penalties. It cut down on crazy riders and generally made the buses safer.

Although long and exhausting, the ride is worth it as you see a lot of countryside that you did not see while on safari.

If you have time, you can make a stop along the way or a detour, e.g. to Morogoro or Tanga.

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bus to Dar es Salaam from Arusha

Thanks AnnaMZB,

is the journey hassel free ? I mean with hawkers at every stop. I just have an image of miles of dirt track roads with a long bumpy ride.I guess it might be interesting though!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bus to Dar es Salaam from Arusha

If you get on one of the express buses (and don't get a seat in the back row) you will have a relatively hassle-free long ride. Anticipate long periods with no bathroom breaks - we didn't do this as a single ride, so I'm not sure, but it probably has one or two bathroom breaks at what might be fairly primitive or even detestable facilities. (I actually preferred the rustic stops - peeing behind a bus is far better for a man than entering some of the bus stop bathrooms...)

You'll be on an express, so hopefully not too many stops. Hawkers are more interesting than aggravating. Do try the pecans - amazing travel snacks!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bus to Dar es Salaam from Arusha

On the other hand - with just a few days, why go all the way to Dar? Unless there is a "must-do" - take the bus less than half way and spend a couple of days in the mountains at Lushoto... or take a rustic bus ride to Kondoa for a couple days and see the rock paintings and experience everyday life off the safari trail.

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bus to Dar es Salaam from Arusha

HI ,

the reason I wanted to go to Dar was to get to Mafia Island for some snokerling/diving and hopefully see whalesharks as I missed them in the Seychelles. But thanks for the info anyway.Cheers

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,650 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bus to Dar es Salaam from Arusha

Regular comfort stops on the coach.

the road from DAR to Arusha and V.V. is not dirt but tar all the way.

But if your destination is Mafia then it would make sense to fly all the way.

3 hour hop for $350 beats a 9 hour bus trip and an overnight in DAR with an airport transfer etc.,

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bus to Dar es Salaam from Arusha

I guess so mfuwe flying though expensive saves lot of time considering I only have 12 days for my trip.Thanks.

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bus to Dar es Salaam from Arusha

Thanks mfuwe may be flying would be better as I only have about 12 days for the trip and the return bus trip would lose me 2-3 days at least! Guess I better save up for the flights. Thanks again.