We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving Dar airport 03.35 - questions

dorset
Level Contributor
554 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving Dar airport 03.35 - questions

Hello

We will be arriving at Dar airport from Istanbul at 0335, before flying onto Zanzibar. I have a couple of questions:

1) the first onward flight with Coastal is at 0730, the next at 0900. We will get visas on arrival and have heard this can take 1.5 hours. We will then need to go and check in for the Coastal flight (is this in the same terminal?).

Do people think it is OK to book this first connection (0735), or should we go for the 0900 one, in case there are delays etc?

2) we will need to get some TSh on arrival. Will anywhere be open at this time in the morning?

3) is there Duty free on Arrival at Dar (and if so, is there any likelihood this would be open?)

Your advice would be appreciated!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,928 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving Dar airport 03.35 - questions

1.5 hours?? Where have you heard this?

I assume this is if only one official is there, and all 300 passengers need processing.

Coastal is in the Domestic terminal about 500mteres away. They will meet you, and drive you there.

I think the local shops are cheaper than the "duty-free". What do you need at 4am, that you can't wait for a few hours to buy in ZNZ. :-)

I'd get the currency at Stone Town, too. The 7.30 should be fine.

dorset
Level Contributor
554 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving Dar airport 03.35 - questions

Thanks - I have read in several forum posts that getting visas usually took at least an hour, and sometimes longer!

We are going straight up to Nungwi on arrival so won't really be going into town in Stonetown. Hence the question on currency, and duty free.

Edited: 29 October 2012, 12:41
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,658 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving Dar airport 03.35 - questions

I agree with Peter. You are overthinking this.

To reassure you.

You will get your visa without a problem in around 30 minutes. Just fill in the downloaded application from the High commission website. Handover your Passport and $50, they may take ££ or €.

Don't bother with a Bank for currency. Do that in Nungwi.

There is no "Duty Free" for arrivals. Why not buy in IST?

but in any event booze is cheap enough in supermarkets.

(Don't buy Duty Free going home. You will lose it when changing planes!)

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving Dar airport 03.35 - questions

I have gotten my visa on arrival all the time, for many years now, and have never been in a line for 1.5 hours to get my visa. Sometimes only 10 - 15 minutes. For some a stand in line for 10 - 15 minutes is like 1`.5 hours perhaps.

I doubt if a bureau d'change will be open at that time, but perhaps one might be around. Try the one right at the departure doors and see if anyone's around to help you. Sometimes I need to go up to the door of the shop and stand there, or knock on the door to get the attention of an all night person. If isn't anyone open at that time, then get it when you get to Zanzibar.

5. Re: Arriving Dar airport 03.35 - questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2013, 10:18