We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help please phoning tanzania

yorks
Level Contributor
366 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
help please phoning tanzania

can anyone please help, we have a friend from kenya who has had to take his son to the cancer hospital in Dar es alam, I have telephone number as follows:

but cannot get through to him, does any know if I need to use a prefix from the UK?

tHANKS

lISA

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help please phoning tanzania

Hi Lisa,

Yes you need to put a prefix. Try a + or if not 00.

Hope that helps

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,073 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help please phoning tanzania

Hi.

Here is a useful website

www.howtocallabroad.com/results.php…

Now, the question is, is this a Kenya cell phone that you are calling, or a Tanzania cell phone or land line. It appears to make a difference.

As much as you want to get in touch with your friend, know that it can sometimes be difficult to punch in just the correct numbers to make it work.

Good luck with your enquiry.

yorks
Level Contributor
366 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help please phoning tanzania

Thanks x

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,618 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help please phoning tanzania

From UK you need 00 254 for Kenya

00 255 for TZ

yorks
Level Contributor
366 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help please phoning tanzania

i think this is a mobile number ?

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help please phoning tanzania

Have you got through?

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help please phoning tanzania

Mfuwe got it right: 254 is Kenya, not Tanzania (255).

I like calling with Skype these days. The price is good and you can store the number easily to make redialing really easy.

If I were you, I'd try setting up a skype account and then try calling numerous times with Skype.

Note that as I type, it's evening in East Africa.

On Skype, you don't actually need to type in the country prefix at all - you can select the country you are calling from a dropdown and then type in the rest of the number. Thus, in your case, you'd omit the 254 (or 255) and just put in the rest of the number. No zero, no +. Just the last 9 digits.

Number changes rapidly in Tanzania and so if this number is off a website, it may well not be working any more. The other thing is that often it just requires some persistence and redialing to get through. Just because it doesn't work the first couple of times, doesn't mean it won't work on the tenth try..

8. Re: help please phoning tanzania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2013, 10:17