We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

left luggage at the airport

manchester
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Topic
left luggage at the airport

Does anyone know if there are left luggage facilities at Dar airport? We're flying to Mafia island and can only take 15ks of luggage in total.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: left luggage at the airport

There is no left luggage at the airports in Tanzania. You can get by with only 15kg of luggage. I go there often with only a carry on and stay for a month. Use the laundry facilities at the hotels and you can get by with very little clothing while you are there.

Bellville, South...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: left luggage at the airport

Karl, are you saying there are no lockers to rent at the airports? I was hoping to leave some stuff at DAR airport when flying to Zanzibar for one night.

And yes, 15 kg. is enough for clothes. But if you take 2 DSLR cameras and 2 or more long telelenses then your camera bag gets near to 10 Kg - not much left for clothes etc. And most of the camera stuff is for Serengeti, not needed on Zanzibar.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: left luggage at the airport

No lockers at any of the Tz airports, or if there are any they are a very recent addition. And if there were I would never trust leaving anything of value in them. If you are flying over and back you might ask if the air carrier would keep it until you return, but if it's something of value I wouldn't do that.

Bellville, South...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: left luggage at the airport

Karl, thank you ! I am glad that I know about this now - enough time left to work out how I can adjust my travel plans.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: left luggage at the airport

I was able to leave some bags in a office in Dar. There are actually a few different places that want to keep your luggage for a fee. There are several small businesses (mostly tourism) with offices at the Dar airport. It's pretty informal, but people regularly leave their bags in these offices for a fee. I wouldn't leave anything of value, but it worked well for us to not have to lug around unnecessary weight.

6. Re: left luggage at the airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 05:17