We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can Have a Lock on Checked Baggage from DAR Airport?

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Can Have a Lock on Checked Baggage from DAR Airport?

In the USA airport security in luggage transfer area has the right to cut locks off of passengers bags if they want to check a bags contents. When leaving DAR airport is it possible to put a lock on our checked baggage?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,121 posts
404 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can Have a Lock on Checked Baggage from DAR Airport?

I always lock my checked luggage where ever I travel. Why make it easy for thieves? If I check a locked bag with KLM, or whoever, I expect a locked bag back from them at the end of the trip.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,011 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can Have a Lock on Checked Baggage from DAR Airport?

In the US, the TSA has the right to open bags whether on check-in or during transfers. This can be done by cutting your own lock or opening the special TSA locks for which they have special keys. If they do, they MUST leave a note inside that they have done so. They then relock bag with a cable tie.

Apparently overseas baggage/security checkers don't have these keys, so whatever the rules are elsewhere, they are whatever they are.

Regardless the country flying to/from, of course you can put a lock or cable tie on your bag/s and hope for the best at the other end.

In all my years traveling especialy after 9/11, only heard of two or three cases (friends) of bags open by TSA. Prior that date, lots of stories of bags open, items missing... the strangest was that 'the dirty underwear' was taken... ugh!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,121 posts
404 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can Have a Lock on Checked Baggage from DAR Airport?

without getting into a bate about TSA( Totalitarian Savage A$$holes ) it is not unknown that they, or somebody, simply slashes the case side or cuts off the TSA 'approved' lock. As for putting in a note, some of em can't even do joined up writing!

Lock the case! That way it is insured!

Edited: 16 March 2013, 19:08
nyc
Level Contributor
15,011 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can Have a Lock on Checked Baggage from DAR Airport?

... so you've had experience with our TSA! Lucky you. Fortunately, I haven't when it comes to luggage. All they do with me is a body check, I love it!

and you expect cursive writing... hell no, it's supposed to be a preprinted form. :-) because they can't write!

Why even bother with a lock or wrap when someone anywhere can just walk-away with a bag.

Edited: 16 March 2013, 20:36
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,121 posts
404 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can Have a Lock on Checked Baggage from DAR Airport?

Why bother?

Well there are two scales of theft.

One, they will, as you say take the lot, and chance being seen and caught.

Two. sneakier to just poke around inside and lift anything handy. a lock stops that. If locked you are insured. theft from an unlocked anything is not. (Not that there is really anything worth pinching but the case may have a value!)

I can live with 50/50 odds and it is insured if it goes walkabout. Harder to prove something missing after you get home.

Edited: 16 March 2013, 22:11
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can Have a Lock on Checked Baggage from DAR Airport?

I've had the TSA open my bags, with a TSA approved lock on them. They left a note in the bag saying they had inspected it. I didn't give a hoot, as there was nothing in it other than clothing and toiletries and perhaps a book. When I check my bags I understand that they might do this.

7. Re: Can Have a Lock on Checked Baggage from DAR Airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2014, 04:18