We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we buy a 4x4 in Tanzania to travel around africa

London, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Should we buy a 4x4 in Tanzania to travel around africa

Hey everyone!! need some help in planning,

My wife and I are planning a trip to Africa in August 2013 for 3 months wooo

we fly into dar es salaam then make our way to Zambia Malawi and Mozambique and fly out of south africa.

Need some tips on how to travel around when we are there. I love traveling DIY so i want to rent a car but looking at the price and the different county part it's going to be hard. Was thinking we buy a car and try and sell before we fly out in south africa ( are you aloud to do this?).

Any other comments on traveling Africa would be much appreciated.

Thanks Sam & Bryony

Edited: 20 May 2013, 22:29
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we buy a 4x4 in Tanzania to travel around africa

I will tell you that a 4x4 incurs a very large customs duty on them, especially the Toyota Land Cruisers (at least they did a few years back unless the laws have changed). What some will do is buy an imported car from Japan, used, and this get's it down quite a bit. I bought a Toyota Hilex double cabin pick up truck and it was reasonable. It was reconditioned, still using it and that was about 15 years ago (I have put in several new engines, it was wrecked once and I had it all banged out, so it is nothing like it once was). I avoided the customs duty on it as I had it in the name of an NGO so it was duty free.

Can you sell it in South Africa after buying it in Tanzania or Kenya, that would be a question for a Tanzanian or South African Attorney. I'm certain you would need to jump through some hoops on that.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,055 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we buy a 4x4 in Tanzania to travel around africa

Hi Sam,

I guessing you've not ben to any African countries before? If that's the case, I think you would be unwise to rent (or buy) a car, except in a limited couple of countries, eg South Africa or Namibia.

And if you think about it, even if you could re-sell the car at the end of your trip, what price do you think you'll get for it, when buyers know you are desperate to sell?

Fine if you have done similar trips and know the ropes and know how to buy a car that you can re=sell. But I get the impression you don't. It is not the same as flying into Australia and buying/selling a car....

For most countries, you probably want to hire a driver along with the car. Please read the many posts on here on the topic if you want some good advice.

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we buy a 4x4 in Tanzania to travel around africa

thanks karl!

Stanley i've been to west Africa The Gambia before. Thanks for you help but having a driver is not my sort of holiday/traveling i'am a confident driver and have driven in different parts of the world.

I agree with the selling part because I've had that problem before. I've heard good stuff about Forster rentals?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,254 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we buy a 4x4 in Tanzania to travel around africa

For a start look at http://luangwablondes.webs.com/

Ivan

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,254 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we buy a 4x4 in Tanzania to travel around africa

Methinks your a bit late in organising transport, the best option would probably have been to actually import a vehicle from UK into Dar, using the carnet system to allow you to import, then export the vehicle without paying duty, I believe the shipping costs are surprisigly cheap by sea. You could have driven country to country, then it would probably be cheaper to re-export from SA. (shipping costs would be cheaper than paying the import duty prior to selling the vehicle). Princess001 has done something similar, importing into SA first, then travelling up Africa. Im sure there are those who know the ins and outs of doing this.I have seen UK registered vehicles in Malawi.

Ivan

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we buy a 4x4 in Tanzania to travel around africa

Thanks you so much Ivan very helpful i'll look into it, my dad used to import stuff from Africa to uk ill talk with him.

Thanks Sam

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we buy a 4x4 in Tanzania to travel around africa

I saw a post about buying cars in Tanzania on the Thorn Tree forum recently. Here it is: www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

8. Re: Should we buy a 4x4 in Tanzania to travel around africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2014, 14:03
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we buy a 4x4 in Tanzania to travel around africa

Hey am very curious about this topic. And u say its very hard to sell a forein car in s.a...

I live in s.a but trying to buy a car in tanzania and sell in to south africa. So can u plz help me. My eamil adress in ( sisonke01@gmail.com)

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we buy a 4x4 in Tanzania to travel around africa

Why???