We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going from Dar Es Salaam to Mombasa

Which Dar es Salaam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pietermaritzburg...
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Going from Dar Es Salaam to Mombasa

Hi all,

I'm looking to travel from Dar Es Salaam to Mombasa by bus or any reliable public transport.

I searched Scandinavia but they closed down their operations. Any recommendations of which bus company to use? Where are their offices located? What is the fare? How many hours is it to Mombasa from Dar Es Salaam?

And also, how easy is it to get to Zanzibar from Dar Es Salaam? Can one spend a day in Zanzibar (Stone Town) and return to Dar Es Salaam or do we need to stay the night?

How easy is it to get from Stone Town to the east end of the island (Paje or Jambiani)??

Your advice, suggestions and assistance will be highly appreciated.

Lerato

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going from Dar Es Salaam to Mombasa

You will need to take a bus to Tanga and then go to Mombasa. A bus to Tanga will take you ~4 - 5 hours, then several hours to Mombasa. I would take the very early bus from Dar. You catch these buses at the Ubungo Bus Terminal. If you need a place to stay in Dar close to this bus terminal, try the Rombo Green View Hotel, a local hotel with clean rooms and hot showers, cost is about $30 a night including a breakfast at their restaurant. Bus companies change all the time, good companies are easy to find. Scandinavia has been closed down for quite a few years now.

You can get to Stone Town Zanzibar by ferry, takes 2 hours and they leave about every hour from the ferry port in the city center, harbor area. Sailing time is 7:30am until 4:00pm Cost is about $40, get your tickets at the ticket windows and not from all the touts who are there. I have went over and back on the same day.

Pietermaritzburg...
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going from Dar Es Salaam to Mombasa

That helps a lot. Thank you very much Karl!

3. Re: Going from Dar Es Salaam to Mombasa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2014, 05:18