We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Connection questions, questions, questions......

Which Dar es Salaam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Western Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Connection questions, questions, questions......

HI, with apologies I'm sure my questions below are asked all the time, but just in case there have been any new changes, here goes..

We're flying SAA probably to Dar es Salaam or Nairobi from J'burg. We are wanting to connect same day to Kilimanjaro airport. Firstly is there any possibility of flying directly to Kilimanjaro from J'burg? If not is there a better connection to use between Fastjet and Precision from Dar es Salaam? We're also considering Nairobi and Kenyan airlines but Dar es Salaam seems a better option in terms of less flying time from J'burg.

Next question regarding both Nairobi and Dar es Salaam, would we be required to change airports to make connections to Kilimanjaro and if so what would we need in the way of timing between our arrival flight and departure to Kilimanjaro?

Last question!! Is it at all possible to fly directly from Kilimanjaro to Victoria Falls or is returning to J'burg the only option?

PSS One more question - any difference between Sept and Oct in terms of viewing wild life - Oct suits us better for travel but we'd certainly swap to Sept if it is the better time

Many thanks for replies, it's the last tricky bit of our travel to this beautiful country I need to organise.

Thank you Jem

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Connection questions, questions, questions......

I seem to recall seeing a SAA plane at JRO but cannot be sure. Try asking them!

Apart from being in a different country there is little difference in travelling time between NBO or DAR to JRO. From DAR you could save a bit of time by flying into Arusha which is where your Safari trip would start from. (JRO is about 50km east of there so adds an hour transfer by car.)

No change of airport needed at either NBO or DAR. Possible terminal change but that is not a problem.

Penultimate answer. No! You cannot fly to VIC or LIV from JRO. NO need to return to JHB though. You CAN fly from NBO with Kenyan.

Finally. I would prefer Oct to September although both good.

Reason. Tarangire NP is full of elephant and has its own mini migration during the dry season which will be biting harder in October. Animals, 5000 elephants will come to the river to drink and eat. (And some will actually end up being eaten!)

Welcome!

Edited: 10 April 2014, 17:10
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
864 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Connection questions, questions, questions......

Muffi what the heck is a mini migration? All these mini and major migrations get real confusing. I have seen and read about the circle the animals make on a yearly basis. Nothing mini there so what are we taking about?

By the way had to look up what kind of mate a Penulti was. Sounded interesting.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Connection questions, questions, questions......

Ha Aloha. A Penulti with a mate. Breed in Hawaian waters every leap year.

Mini Migration. 250,000 Gnu and Zebra etc., heading in to Tarangire. If folks insist on "The Great Migration" (2m critturs) in the Serengeti, then I think 250K or so others doing the same thing for the same reason earns a 'mini'. Don't you?

4. Re: Travel Connection questions, questions, questions......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 05:16