We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a Jewish community in Tanzania?

Level Contributor
17 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a Jewish community in Tanzania?

I have a group trip planned to Tanzania in September, 2015. My friend, who is Jewish, said that she could not travel with us because of Rosh Hashana being in September. Are there Jewish people in Tanzania who would be practicing Rosh Hashana that she could go with them to temple? Or any suggestions? Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a Jewish community in Tanzania?

Hi

There is no "Jewish Coumunity" and very few Jewish people although a there are a few, and as far as i know no temple

2. Re: Is there a Jewish community in Tanzania?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 May 2014, 09:35
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a Jewish community in Tanzania?

I don't know of any synagogues in Tanzania but there is a Synagogue and a Jewish community in Nairobi Kenya which it might be possible to include in your itinerary.

Mentioned in this post
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a Jewish community in Tanzania?

a fairly recent discussion on this topic you might find useful

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293748-i9227-k454…

nyc
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a Jewish community in Tanzania?

Nowadays if wishing to participate in services at the NBO synagogue you need permission, assume thru the Israeli Embassy which is a short distance away. This change since the '98 US Embassy bombings and other incidents (bombing of Israeli owned hotel in Mombasa and attempted shoot down of an ElAl flight departing Mombasa), other terrorist attacks/attempts even if not directed towards the Jewish community.

Closest hotel, located around the corner is the Norforlk/Fairmont, but most arrive by vehicle as 'nobody walks in NBO" (.... kind of like being in Los Angeles).

From what I could determine when we visited in '97, the temple (orthodox) though a small number of participants at that time, it can be rather full of those who observe the New Year holiday/service... living in/around the NBO area.

Not the same in DAR or elsewhere in Tanzania.

Have you thought to schedule your trip for period before or after the holidays?

Edited: 05 May 2014, 20:13
Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
6. Re: Is there a Jewish community in Tanzania?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 06:17