We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Ubungo Bus Terminal to Kigamboni

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
From Ubungo Bus Terminal to Kigamboni

My boyfriend and I will be travelling to Dar using the Dar Express bus from Nairobi. I'm informed that we will arrive at around 9 pm at Ubungo bus terminal. We have planned to stay at a resort in Kigamboni. I have learnt that we will have to cross a ferry to get to the resort. How safe/ practical would this be at night?

As a precaution, I think we may have to stay at a hotel for the night and then cross the ferry during the day. Any suggestions? Also, how long does the ferry ride take?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Ubungo Bus Terminal to Kigamboni

The ferry ride will be the shortest ferry ride you ever take. Perhaps it takes 10 - 15 minutes, it's like crossing a river.

There will be plenty of taxis at the Ubungo bus terminal, they sit waiting outside the bus terminal waiting for clients. Negotiate the fare before getting into the taxi (if you're from Nairobi you shouldn't need to be told that).

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Ubungo Bus Terminal to Kigamboni

I would check with the hotel for transfer. We got a taxi from Ubungo to the Amani Beach Resort and the driver did not know the fastest way to get there so we spent hours standing still in rush hour and in the line for the ferry and when we got to Kigamboni he had to stop for directions on several occasions. There would of course not be rush hour that late in the evening, but on the other hand it's not very nice to be driving around searching for the hotel in the dark. When we left the hotel the manager arranged a taxi for us and it was so much better and that driver told us you have to know when to use the ferry and when to take the longer trip around the bay to avoid traffic jams.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From Ubungo Bus Terminal to Kigamboni

your arrival in dar could also be later than 9pm because its common for busses/coaches to breakdown on the highway and add on 3 more hours easily,

but at around 9pm its easier passage through ubungo bus station, normally during daytime it takes at least one hour to get out of stand still traffic,

its also a long journey (and maybe its a non-aircon bus) and you don't really want to get stuck some where at night after a long trip, if need be there are many hotels on the main road near ubungo bus station.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Ubungo Bus Terminal to Kigamboni

Thank you all. :-)

I have contacted the hotel for a transfer and I am awaiting their response.

A few more questions: Is the ferry operational at night and if so, until what time? How much can I expect to pay the taxi from Ubungo to the hotel (Kijiji Beach Resort) via the ferry?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Ubungo Bus Terminal to Kigamboni

I have never taken the taxi there so I don't know what the cost will be.

I'm not certain if he ferry operates all night or not. If it is not operating that is not the only way to get there, there is a road around the bay-cut and they would take that, it's just longer.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: From Ubungo Bus Terminal to Kigamboni

http://wikitravel.org/en/Dar_es_Salaam

here's some info from above web site:

Kigamboni also known as "South Beach", is situated across the channel from the Zanzibar ferry. You can get to the other side by ferry, not the same as for Zanzibar. The ferry station is north of the Zanzibar ferry past the Kilimanjaro Kempinski Hotel near the main fish market. You walk onto the ferry which costs 100Tsh. The crossing takes about 5 minutes. Once across, you can hire a taxi to take you to the beaches, most of which are accessed through the various hotels along the coast. Public beaches have all been sold to developers. Hotels, such as the Sunrise, will charge a 5,000Tsh entry fee. 3,000TSh of which is returned to you in the form of food vouchers. Most hotels are about 5km from the ferry and you should be able to get there for 10,000 to 15,000Tsh depending on your negotiating skills. There are also daladalas which ply the road to the beaches.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: From Ubungo Bus Terminal to Kigamboni

www.zoomtanzania.com/Dar-Kigamboni-Ferry

according to above website the kigamboni ferry is running 24/7 @TSH 200 per person

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: From Ubungo Bus Terminal to Kigamboni

your hotel will know if the ferry is running 24/7 anyway,

so check with them and also check with the contact number given in zoomtanzania website above

well if you reach the ferry point and its still filling up with passengers and cars, then there could be a bit of wait, in that case you could leave the 1st taxi and catch the ferry, and then look for 2nd taxi on the other side, but maybe the hotel taxi may just give a good deal.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Ubungo Bus Terminal to Kigamboni

Thank you all for your replies. :-)

The hotel confirmed that the ferry does indeed run 24/7. They offered a transfer from Ubungo at 50USD which we think is way too high as it is even more than we paid for the bus ticket from Nairobi to Dar. We'll just take a public taxi from Ubungo which will probably be much cheaper.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: From Ubungo Bus Terminal to Kigamboni

because the ferry port for kigamboni is further up from zanzibar ferry port, but should be easier traffic at around 9pm, expect around TSH 20K for taxi, look for one inside ubungo station otherwise look for one on the main road with safety in mind,

according to link below, the kijiji beach resort is 5km from ferry and it takes 8 minutes to reach the hotel by car, so taxi should be cheap around TSH 6K,

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g293748-d2527…