We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accommodation in Dodoma

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
23 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
accommodation in Dodoma

Hi

Can anyone suggest a comfortable, clean and friendly place to stay in Dodoma for couple nights. I may visit there briefly when in Tanzania soon.

Mentioned in this post
19 replies to this topic
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: accommodation in Dodoma

I know most of the hotels there (I once had a farm just outside Dodoma), and perhaps if you described it a tad better I might be able to get you what you want.

Off hand I stay most often at the Cana Lodge which is just beside the marketplace in the city center and within walking distance from many things which I do. Cost the last time I was there was ~15,000 Tsh (at 1,500 Tsh = $1) and this includes a breakfast. More upscale is the Dodoma hotel, right across from the train station in central Dodoma, they have a pool, three restaurants that are not bad, a swimming pool, and nice central patio in the center of the hotel. Cost was ~50,000 Tsh the last time I stayed there, don't remember if it included breakfast or not, most places do.

Other places are the Rock Hotel which is a bit off the central Dodoma, and the VETA hotel (which is a vocational training school where they use this for hospitality training), which has a restaurant, bar, etc. I think the cost here is ~ 20,000 Tsh. I have had problems with rats at this location but not serious and perhaps they've cleaned them up.

For one which is out a bit on the Arusha Road about 3 - 4km is the Twiga hotel, I think the cost is ~30,000, great place, very comfortable, has a restaurant and bar and a wonderful garden area. A good friend built and operates this and it's a great place to be if you are looking for an out of the way place.

If none of these suits you then let me know what you are looking for. All meet your description of a clean comfortable place.

What are you doing in Dodoma?

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
23 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: accommodation in Dodoma

Thanks Karl for your detailed reply. The Twiga hotel sounds a nice place to stay. Comfortable doesn't have to be luxury, just clean, tidy, friendly and cold beer of course.

I am currently involved in setting up an small exploration company and have been investigating/reviewing several mineral leases in Tanzania, albiet from Aussie and using online correspondance at the moment. A couple of leases are within reach of Kirondatal so may end up visiting Dodoma whilst near there if we proceed with project.

Many years ago I visited Kenya and Zimbabwe but never made it to Tanzania. I work with people here in Aussie from Tanzania and they tell me its very nice and I should visit even for a holiday.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accommodation in Dodoma

You would probably enjoy the Twiga, and since your an exploration company you might find it interesting to talk with the owner of this hotel. He's an Architect and builder, but he has some experiences which you might find interesting. His name is A B C Mungwe.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
23 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: accommodation in Dodoma

Hi Karl

Do you have the hotel contact details.

Cheers

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: accommodation in Dodoma

You can find the hotel on Facebook at Twiga Hotel and contact Mungwe via email at mungweabc@yahoo.com or twigahotels@yahoo.com

You can use my name as a contact if you wish. I know Mungwe very well, he's a good man working to help Tanzania. He and another friend have a NGO called PEN (Poverty Eradication Network) in Dodoma which does a lot of work with children there, especially distributing books to their schools and libraries. They have a Facebook page under Pen Trust.

Mentioned in this post
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: accommodation in Dodoma

I'd recommend the Dodoma Hotel. I've spent perhaps 30 nights there. The sservice is pretty bad, but they have a good Chinese restaurant, the rooms are comfortable enough and it is pretty central in Dodoma.

Cana Lodge is fine if the thought of saving 20,000tshs is important to you, for me it isn't though.

There are some nice hotels springing up out towards the Tabora road also but I dont know any names.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: accommodation in Dodoma

One of the major problems with the Dodoma Hotel is when the Bunge (Parliament) is in session they have many parties in the patio area of the hotel, which is in the center of the hotel, and they go on until the wee hours of the morning. You will not sleep if you run into this. I have had this happen on many occasions while staying there, and it typically ended up that I got up and joined them.

Dar es Salaam...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: accommodation in Dodoma

Also Giftland Executive Hotel, its clean & comfortable room , restaurant & Bar

Tanzania
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: accommodation in Dodoma

do you have a phone number for Twiga?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: accommodation in Dodoma

Mungwe's telephone numbers are 0754 310620 and 0786 557577 He has a good friend who works with him in Dodoma and her name is Andrea, her telephone contact is 0755 812145 in case Mungwe is not around. He is sometimes traveling. Twiga is a nice hotel.

Reply to: accommodation in Dodoma
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dodoma