We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet access?

Which Dodoma hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newton Abbot
Level Contributor
179 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Internet access?

I visit for two weeks late September and wondering if there is reasonably priced wi-fi locally ? Unsure of my accommodation at present.

Devongirlie

11 replies to this topic
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Internet access?

Some hotels will have WiFi, but these are typically in the Arusha/Moshi area. Some of the lodges will have Interenet access, it is quite costly if they have satellite access. In Arusha you can find a lot of Internet cafe where you can get very reasonable cost of access. But basically, if you are in the towns you can get access, out on the safari areas you are lucky to have telephone access, let alone Internet access.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internet access?

I just noticed that you are asking on the Dodoma forum. If you are in Dodoma you will have plenty of WiFi access and there will be many Internet cafes, some with good hi speed access. I am in Dodoma quite often and always have access.

Newton Abbot
Level Contributor
179 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Internet access?

Thank you Karll, that is good news.

Dodoma
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Internet access?

The easiest way may to buy a Vodacom USB fob for 35,000, a sim card for 1,000 and unlimited access for 30,000 a month or they have cheaper ones for unlimited access for a week for 10,000.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Internet access?

Andrea... they have the Voda USB fob down to 35,000. That's a deal. It seems to me that I got Naftal one several years ago for about 150,000/= (now you don't suppose that he used some of that for some Saturday night Dodoma wine do you).

Dodoma
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Internet access?

You never know with that kid of yours..... I have a Tigo one and Voda but Voda has the best deal for unlimited time - doesn't work in Singida at all - so if she is just going to use it in Dodoma that would be a reliable way....

Katowice, Poland
Level Contributor
1 post
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Internet access?

Hello,

I am going to stay on Zanzibar for 2 weeks and then 1 week in Kilimanjaro/Arusha, I have own wifi modem, I need to buy sim card only, which operator do you recommend? Voda? Zantel? Which is better? price is more less the same 5GB 25.000TSH

thanks for advise!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Internet access?

Vodacom will most probably provide the better coverage in both places. Or you might go with Airtel for good coverage. I have used Vodacom there and have had satisfactory coverage.

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Internet access?

Hi

We're running a Scout expedition to Tanzania in July; After flying into Dar, we'll spend the first part of the trip in Mpwapwa, both camping and staying in the Ark Hotel, working in Queen Esther's School, and two small villages Chitemo and Nihylia. We then have trekking and safari phases in Udzungwa Mountains and Mikumi National Parks.

If at all possible, I would like to maintain an internet blog of the trip with Wordpress on my 3G tablet to keep parents informed of what we're doing and also to serve as a log of the trip.

Would this be at all plausible - is there enough 3G coverage in the areas I've mentioned? How would I go about getting the appropriate SIM card and topping it up? What are the mobile internet costs over there?

Many Thanks.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Internet access?

Your coverage will be spotty at best, especially when trekking and camping. There is rather good coverage, I think the coverage in the Mpwapwa area will be with Airtel (used to be Celtel and Zain but I think it is now Airtel). If not then the coverage will be with Vodacom. I would go to the Vodacom store (it used to be on Ohio Street in Dar) and ask what their 3G coverage is in Mpwapwa, and I would also go to the Airtel store and ask there also. Or perhaps you could get on their website and find out (africa.airtel.com vodacom.co.tz ) and if you cannot find the coverage on their website then send them an email and ask.

I have had rather decent bandwidth in Dodoma on Vodacom, but that's only close to where you will be.

What you will need to do is get the doggle modem (make certain that your tablet has the proper port for this) or if your tablet has a SIM card mounted then you will need to get an Internet SIM card to connect, and I don't know if they have these yet. Again, send them an email and find out.

I've been in Mpwapwa District many times, telephone reception is not all that good there.

Reply to: Internet access?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dodoma