We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which comes first, the safari or the trek?

Which comes first, the safari or the trek?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2011, 18:31
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,230 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which comes first, the safari or the trek?

The general concensus is that you climb the Mountain first as sitting in a Safari Car for a week first lets you get flabby. You will have been in training at home then sat in a plane for X hours. Don't worry too much about the Time change. You will be getting up early every morning anyway!

My suggestion would be..

Arrive and take a day off to recover from the journey and adjust.

Six/seven days trekking then R&R on the Safari. The safari can be strenuous or relaxing depending on how you go but do the Mountain first.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
209 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which comes first, the safari or the trek?

I would recommend doing the trek first and agree that you will need all your strength for this.

The safari can act as a good wind down after the trek maybe?

Have a great time - we did it last September and i really want to go back!

Jen x

nyc
Level Contributor
14,646 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which comes first, the safari or the trek?

mfuwe is spot on.

Arrive JRO, spend a day relaxing; second day commence the climb/trek (6-7/days). At conclusion you can enjoy safari and end on ZNZ.

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,219 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which comes first, the safari or the trek?

I guess we bucked the trend by going safari 1st, trek 2nd. Our original intent was to do the trek 1st safari 2nd, but a delay (loss luggage) ruined those plans.

In the end, I liked going safari 1st. It gave us a chance to relax after the flight, meet some locals, see Tanzania...

Not that the trek was that hard, but we really enjoyed going to Zanzibar after the trek and being downright lazy. It was nice to just relax and do nothing afterwards.

Even though we planned to trek 1st, if I had to do it over again, I would go safari 1st, trek 2nd.

Matt

manchester
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which comes first, the safari or the trek?

Hi,

I recently did a trip to Tanzania - doing safari, trek up Kili and then to Zanzibar.

I would recommend doing safari first also (this is what we did) as it gives you chance to relax and get over any jet lag after the flight, but more importantly allows you to acclimatise a little before the trek....Serengeti afterall is about 1200 to 1800m above sea level (every little helps!)

We found this an excellent route...and Zanzibar is perfect for a relax after the trek!

Im sure which ever way you go about it you will have a great time! The climb especially was brilliant and would love to do it again someday.

Joanne x

wolverhampton, uk
Level Contributor
117 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which comes first, the safari or the trek?

Matt,

You say that the trek wasn't that hard, which is a bit different to most other people's views...

Can I ask which route you took and who with ?

Thanks.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,230 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which comes first, the safari or the trek?

Looking at the recent posts it seems there could be a case for safari first, Trek second. There is a psychological element too. If you go off around the country and keep glimpsing Kilimanjaro the sheer size may incline you not to go! I know every time I arrive into Arusha and see Mt Meru smiling down I wonder why I ever went up there!

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,219 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which comes first, the safari or the trek?

highfieldhouse,

We did the Machame route over 7 days (adding the acclimating day).

We used Bush Explores (www.bushexplores.com)

One of the BIG reasons that we found it easier than most is that we all live at 9600 ft in Colorado and are very active here. Acclimation wise, we had a distinct advantage over most other people that were coming from low elevations. I wish I could say it was because of some intense conditioning, but living at high altitude really helped.

Plus, adding the acclimating day really made for 2 easy 1/2 days leading up to Summit Night.

Summit Night was a slightly different story due to how cold it was.

Matt

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which comes first, the safari or the trek?

Hi

I always reccommend the safari first then Kilimanjaro, if you luggage is delayed or even lost you can do a safari with a few swiftly brought item no problem, and you luggage has a chance to catch up with you, it normally takes 2 days at least.

Also if you are really very very tired after kili it can effect your enjoyment of the safari, you can recover nicely in the plane on the way home or on a beach in Zanzbar :-)

maryland
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which comes first, the safari or the trek?

I would agree that you can do this either way. One additional thing to consider: if you do safari first and get sick from food/water/etc (which is not uncommon)this can have a huge effect on your climb.

Get answers to your questions about Kilimanjaro National...