We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arusha Mid-Range Accommodation

wolverhampton, uk
Level Contributor
117 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Arusha Mid-Range Accommodation

Hi again,

Have been really impressed with the help on my previous post so thought I would try another one.

I've read all the TA reports on hotels / accommodations in the Arusha area but found it difficult to pick a favourite as they all seem quite contradictory. Would be interested to hear all you regular posters' favourites.

We're looking for a reasonable comfort but not luxury. Main thing is somewhere to relax before and after the climb - at the moment i guess we're looking at L'oasis, Moivaro, Arumeru, Karama, Arusha Hotel.

Any views welcome - also, do you know where I can get a decent map showing where these places are?? Thanks.

New York
Level Contributor
463 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arusha Mid-Range Accommodation

I was disappointed with L'Oasis Lodge at $80 for a double room. The bathroom was relatively terrible with a tiny sink. Also there was no shampoo. The road to the lodge was bad and it is away from the city. This lodge probably would appeal top western tourists looking for a step down so they can enjoy something authentic and rustic. But I can't see why one has to pay so much for a step down experience. I would suggest you pay $10 or $20 more and stay at the Impala which is centrally located. The Indian restaurant there is superb. Food at that restaurant is freshly prepared although you might have to wait 15 to 20 minutes because it is fresh but it definitely worth the wait. Try out the prawn dishes. They are amazing! The Chinese restaurant at Impala however was a big disappointment.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arusha Mid-Range Accommodation

I am not certain what you mean by mid range. I typically stay at the Arusha Center Tourist Inn which is located in the center of the business district, cost is $25 a night including breakfast. There's also the Meru Inn on Sokoine Street right in the business district also, it's less then $20 a night. Both of these are comfortable hotels, definitely not luxury but comfortable, clean, safe, and hot water showers. The Arusha hotel is also in the business district and is a very nice hotel, cost is at least $100 a night, good restaurant there. I've stayed at the Arusha hotel several times. The Impala is a bit out of the business area and a lot of tourists stay there, it's getting a bit shabby around the edges the last time I stayed there; but it's a bit less expensive then the Arusha hotel. Hope this helps a bit.

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Arusha Mid-Range Accommodation

Hi

Anything outside of the city centre is likey to be reached by a bad road David :-) even Mountain village run by Serena is off a very bad road...Even Moivario ......another nice place is Ilboru safari lodge just 3-4 km from the city centre now under new management with great food.

I dont often disagree on this board with posters each has ones own like and dislikes, but i really dont like the Impala, box like rooms and the building itself is a horrible thing with the style of a space rocket, fresh food...is everywhere including the L Oasis.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arusha Mid-Range Accommodation

Hi Achnab. I too don't like to disagree with posters on this forum (not the place for that IMO) which is why I only said that it's getting a bit shabby around the edges. I have stayed at the Ilboru Lodge and it's a good place to stay and wasn't all that expensive; however the last time I was there the manager was terrible and insulting to the guests - now you say that they are under new management which is good news to me. I would have liked to return there but wouldn't with the old manager. It's a very good place, clean, hot water showers, and very private rooms with a good pool (however it's typically too cool to swim there). The garden area there is very nice and relaxing.

Since you're in the know about things going on there, didn't the Ilboru once belong to Dave and Eunice Simonson? I had heard that but didn't know for certain. I know that the last time I saw David in Arusha he was not in real good shape from his strokes. They are on my list of unsung heroes.

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Arusha Mid-Range Accommodation

Hi Karl

The new manager is Ad a very interesting Dutch guy, who used to be the manager of Le Jacaranda........hi is a 5* chef so the food is excellent !

Ive only been here since end of 93 and since then the owner was a Tanzanian ex army guy, with whom i alway got on well, having said which things are a lot more relaxed now, so i dont know Dave and Eunice Simonson

wolverhampton, uk
Level Contributor
117 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arusha Mid-Range Accommodation

Thanks again guys, very helpful. Unfortunately i can't use the Ilboru as it's not on my upgrade list.

If you had to go Arusha Hotel or Moivaro for the same price what would you say? Also, roughly how far is Moivaro from Arusha centre? Thanks again.

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Arusha Mid-Range Accommodation

Hi

I would go for the Arusha hotel, Moivaro is circa 15km from Arusha and especially at night i dislike driving down the long bad road circa 3-4km.

8. Re: Arusha Mid-Range Accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 18:19