We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

climbing kili

LMG6316
Level Contributor
66 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
climbing kili

I 'm looking for some advice about climbing Kilimanjaro in July 2010 . I am in my late 40's and will be travelling with my 16yr old son .We trekked in the Andes last year up to 4800m with no problems but had taken 2 weeks gradually increasing altitude . i am happy to take extra days to help acclimatisation and am considering climbing Mount Meru beforehand but now understand that this might actually be more difficult ! Am I crazy ? LMG6316

USA-Oregon
Level Contributor
300 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: climbing kili

For what I did read in books and some research on the web, in order to make Mt Meru acclimatization really effective, you would have to remain at higher elevation for a few days (2-3) and then reach again the same level within less than a week, in order to gain any benefits.

I am sure other people with more experience and knowledge can correct me...

However, if you plan to do a private climb, your outfitter can customize your climb per your needs - you may not want to do longer than 10 days as you may get mentally tired of camping, and in similar sense the mt Meru climb can give you the same effect aside of just being physically tired - and prepare an eight day trek with one day of aclimatization at high altitude.

Team Kilimanjaro is an outfitter very much geared towards Kili climbing, so you might want to check them out. There are plenty of outfitters that will guide you up the mountain, but TK has somewhat of a different approach.

Just check their safey records, and their names in this forum - I am sure you will find plenty of information

Price wise look for anything above $1600 USD pp for a 7 day trek, although price itself is no guarantee of success - but will put away those that just want you in-and-out as fast as possible, no matter what, aside other issues....

Seems too that you may have the skills and endurance - mentally and physical to such a adventure - so if you remained active all this year, and choose a 7-8 day climb, you should be alright.

Save some time for a short safari - probably just to the crater or other major park, instead of investing all your time just in the climb.

not crazy, just that mt Meru is more physically difficult, thus might render you tired for the next one - I think you better off choosing a longer kili trek, and give yourself a day or two before start the climb, than go for both

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,259 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: climbing kili

the advice you have just been given is great Team Kiliminjaro is a good middle of the range operator, concentrating on Kilimanjaro. Also Mt. Meru is more physically difficult, so give it a miss and just go for a longer climb with plenty of time for acclimatization

3. Re: climbing kili

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 December 2009, 17:35
London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: climbing kili

I climbed Kilimanjaro at the beginning of September this year and I would highly recommend taking 7 days minimum to do the trek. I did experience some AMS symptoms on summit day as the ascent at 1600m on the last day is really too much altitude gain in one day. There are ways though to make this part of the summit day easier such as staying at high camp which takes about an hour off the summit trekking time. Also, we started off at 9 a.m. on the summit day as we slept in Kibo Crater overnight so we missed the crowds.

My husband and I used a company that tailor treks (PrivateKilimanjaro.com) and therefore we could go at our own pace without pressure of either slowing or quickening to qroup pace. It also allowed us to build in extra time to acclimatise in case we felt ill, but this wasn't necessary.

Having just got back from the Himalayas in mid November where my husband injured his leg 6 days into a 25 day trek, I can certainly say that being on a private trek made all the difference. We had flexibility to change our itinerary to make sure that we met our overall goal to reach the summit. This is impossible to do with a group as confirmed by a team who were made to go back down the mountain because one member had been flown out due to AMS.

Hope this helps and good luck.

LMG6316
Level Contributor
66 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: climbing kili

Thanks a lot .I was thinking a private trek might be the wisest way to go and will certainly look into this company

LMG6316
Level Contributor
66 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: climbing kili

thanks for the advice and reassurance .Thankfully we will be in Tanzania for about 6 weeks so we intend to do some other non- mountain exploring also . very interested in your advice about Mt Meru as I hadnt appreciated it was actually the harder climb . Thanks again LMG6316

Cheshire
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: climbing kili

Hi

did the trek you are proposing and am 50 so NO you are not crazy.

as someone else says Meru really does not help with acclimatisation, you are not high enough for long enough.

For best acclimatisation

1. walk slowly so you keep your pulse and breathing controlled

2. take 7 days

3. whenever possible walk for half an hour above the camp you are staying, sit down read a book, sing a song whatever then descend

4. try and stay at HIgh camp above Barafu so that the final day is not so huge and exhausting

5. go at your own pace!!!

6. take diamox, half a tab morning and night

I did a private climb with Private Kilimanjaro last autumn and they were fantastic, just me and my wife, two guides and they gave us the flexibility and support to cope with the fact that my wife was not as fit as she would like and did not want to be dragged along by a big group.

One thing I am sure will shock you when you go is the number of people. If there is a group of 10 trekkers then with porters guides there will be about 70 people in all and that is a heck of a lot of folks all walking together

have a good trip

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: climbing kili

6. take diamox, half a tab morning and night

I would recommend that you investigate altuide drugs. I found Americans were he biggest user of these. They might help you.. they might not. It is up to you.

I personally would never use them, and have climbed a few mountains incluing Meru (yes it is so hard!!) and never used anything except fo hot chocolate and the chocolat bar up the top!

Good luck with the climb

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: climbing kili

agree with most of the above.

Take the acclimating day. Choose a route that lends to acclimating

(machame, lemosho)

drinks LOTS of water pre-Kili

go easy on heavy meals pre-kili, eat & drink plenty on Kili, in fact overdrink if you can.

consider water purification tablets

as someone mentioned, climb higher each evening than your camp to acclimate some

take your time on the trail

and also as someone mentioned, if you can get the high camp above barafu this could be very helpful as it cuts probably an hour on Summit Night.

Enjoy!

Matt

LMG6316
Level Contributor
66 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: climbing kili

Thanks a lot .I"m glad I'm not crazy considering it as I firmly believe is challenges and going out of my comfort zone - but am not insane ! Im going to start planning ! - and training ! I'm a plodder not a sprinter but a very determined one . There's a lot of wisdom in the advice to ascend higher each day and try to reduce the final day ascent .I will take diamox with me but not take it unless needed .Found coca tea brilliant in the Andes but unfortunately not available .Any training tips .I walk a lot , spend most of the day on my feet in work frequently running up and down stairs .

Get answers to your questions about Kilimanjaro National...