We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For those who have climbed, who was your local guide?

Orlando
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
For those who have climbed, who was your local guide?

I have a group of 3-4 people who would like to climb Kili this summer. We have a relatively free budget but have a short timeline of 7-8 days climbing. Obviously our safety is our highest priority; having said that, we don't want to pay through the nose for not much more. We are all avid hikers who have done both budget and luxury trips.

After reviewing multiple posts and forums, I would like to ask only those who have climbed Kili in the past 2 years to give feedback on their climb guides. There are many posts giving information you can readily acquire on the internet with due diligence. What we are looking for is personal experiences in terms of feeling safe, equipment and guide quality, and # of porters. Our final list includes Kiliwarriors, Summit Africa, Zara and Team Kilimanjaro. Thank you for your input!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For those who have climbed, who was your local guide?

Just over 2 yrs ago I climbed with ET Treks. Out of the companies you have stated I worked with all and it would have to be out of Summits Africa and Team Kili

Orlando
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For those who have climbed, who was your local guide?

Thank you so much for your advice!

wolverhampton, uk
Level Contributor
117 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For those who have climbed, who was your local guide?

Can only speak for TK who we went with last Sept/Oct. Everything first class, from the comprehensive support via email in the months before we travelled to the celebratory cheeseburgers in Moshi on the way back to the hotel. I was particularly impressed with the briefing each evening on the next day's plan, including flexibility around our requirements ; also the great interest in our health and well-being. We were very pleased with our choice.

4. Re: For those who have climbed, who was your local guide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 March 2010, 12:35
USA-Oregon
Level Contributor
300 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For those who have climbed, who was your local guide?

Hi, as far as price range stay away from anyone quoting your group below $1400/pp ...or above $2200/pp

The lower prices takes a cut on equipment quality and pay rate to porters, and for the second price, above that, you are really paying for the fancy brochures and others...

They will ALL take you to the top - preventtion is your biggest tool.

8 days should be enough for aclimatization, in special if decide for Lemosho/Shira route. With that said, all the extra charge safety equipment is useless if you do not follow proper high altitude climbing, and self-awareness.

I used Basecamp, and went Joachim's team.

They were exceptional, provided all the support, confort and food we needed, and then some more.

We too are experienced hikers and campers, so sitting for dinner with a table, sliverware and real plates, while in the mountain was an odd experience :)

Stay as a small group, as you will be able to set your pace and food preferences easier.

It's an easy hike, with some moderate rough spots, but really, elevation is your main concern, as it will slow you down and make work harder. Follow the basics and remain safe at all times - the guides are there to help and GUIDE you

Edited: 24 March 2010, 15:33
Klamath Falls, OR
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For those who have climbed, who was your local guide?

I just logged on to ask the same question. Your advice is helpful. Thank you

Klamath Falls, OR
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For those who have climbed, who was your local guide?

I just logged on to ask the same question. Your advice is helpful. Thank you

Edited: 25 March 2010, 03:48
London
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: For those who have climbed, who was your local guide?

Hi,

I don't agree with the "Below 1400 budget = quality isn't good" saying. I climbed with Focus in Africa (my guide was Barbarlu), the team (Guide himself and the porter) is very professional, without them, I would never ever make to the top. I had extremely good experience!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
176 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: For those who have climbed, who was your local guide?

We used Duma Explorer for our kili trek this past February. There were five of us and we had plenty of support. They make sure that the porters do not carry too much weight so for the five of us there were about 18 to support us (guides, cook, waiter, porter). The equipment was very high quality and new which was very important to me as I tend to get cold. We had a mess tent and toilet tent...both of which were really nice to have...it gets windy and having a mess tent makes meals so much nicer. Plus, the food was EXCELLENT! Msuri, our head guide, was really organized and definitely was respected by the staff. Peter, our assistant guide, was very helpful and made sure that we were not carrying too much ourselves throughout the trek. It was definitely a team effort as each member of their staff really helped us all along the way. A few of us got mild altitude sickness but I never felt that anything was unsafe...and we all made it safely up to the summit and back! I'd highly recommend this company.

USA-Oregon
Level Contributor
300 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: For those who have climbed, who was your local guide?

Hi fanfanli,

not just of my experience - but from feedback from our guys-porters and guides, and also from other people in this forum.

There is a cost you can't avoid of parking fess and others - then, it comes the expense of feeding you - and some companies DO cut the corners in what they have left to provide for their staff, from equipment, food, and salaries - that's how they get below that price range, unless you are going in a considerable large group of hikers - 12 or so, where indeed they can cut the prices per pp. Also keep in mind the amount of days you will stay in the park, and route taken - some routes are more expensive than others, per amount of days it takes to hike them, having huts available on the route or not(thus requiring less equipment), and even if a crater camping was choosen or not...

Price is no guarantee of summit success, but account for all the costs of EVERYTHING, and indeed some companies are not making that much per hiker, when they follow "standards".

If you do a good search, on the web and in this site, you will find that most hikers experiencing problems with outfitters - directtly or indirectly - were using very low budget companies.

just my ....2 cents and some extra change :)

Get answers to your questions about Kilimanjaro National...