We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Team Kilimanjaro vs. Climbing Kilimanjaro

Level Contributor
87 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Team Kilimanjaro vs. Climbing Kilimanjaro

I'm quite familiar with Henry Stedman's Kili guide and have heard good things about his operator so are considering strongly using it. But I'm confused on one point.....sometimes it appears to go by "Team Kilimanjaro" and other times "Climbing Kilimanjaro." Both have websites. Can someone explain the relationship? Are they both related to Henry? Thank you.

FORT ST JOHN
Level Contributor
244 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Team Kilimanjaro vs. Climbing Kilimanjaro

Henry books your trek with the climbing company Team Kiimanjaro. Apparently when you book thru Henry the porters get paid a higher wage. We were going to book with Henry (Climb Kilimanjaro) but in the end we wanted to book with a company that are part of KPAP. It was a deal breaker for us.

www.kiliporters.org

hope this helps

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Team Kilimanjaro vs. Climbing Kilimanjaro

Henry Stedman's site is called Climb Mount Kilimanjaro, which is a different company to Climbing Kilimanjaro, the company you have quoted above.

On Henry's site, he clearly states he re-sells your climb to Team Kilimanjaro. For further clarification, read his site. It is very clear. Many companies have an arrangement such as this one. It is not unusual.

Level Contributor
87 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Team Kilimanjaro vs. Climbing Kilimanjaro

Thanks. I must have been looking at the wrong site.

Tanzania & UK
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Team Kilimanjaro vs. Climbing Kilimanjaro

Incidentally, for any prospective climbers who approve of the methods of KPAP it may actually be worth considering Climbing Kilimanjaro (as opposed to Climb Mount Kilimanjaro or Team Kilimanjaro), as Climbing Kilimanjaro (also known as Destination Africa Tours, or DAT) book many of their climbs with Zara, who are members of KPAP.

Climbers who read this thread should please clearly note that Team Kilimanjaro is not a member of KPAP and will not become a member, God willing, unless the present owner dies and is replaced with someone other than one of his present trusted colleagues or relatives.

Those wanting to book with a company that still enjoys reasonable control over its standards, in spite of their apparent willingness to be perceived as voluntarily subjugating themselves to external controls, are strongly advised to consider either SENE, Kiliwarriors or African Environments.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Team Kilimanjaro vs. Climbing Kilimanjaro

I would like to applaud anyone looking out for the actual porters best interests but personally look after them yourself when you are there. You know they get the money directly, cut out the middleman for goodness sake, Africa has got enough of them already!

I like Kilimanjaro Tours myself, they are straight and dont rip you. All ops are in it to make money at the end of the day. Look after the porters yourself, you wil find it pays you to do so, trust me on that one.

The best trips are the ones you make yourself in life!

6. Re: Team Kilimanjaro vs. Climbing Kilimanjaro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 March 2014, 12:05
Edited: 19 March 2014, 12:05
7. Re: Team Kilimanjaro vs. Climbing Kilimanjaro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 05:15