We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa for Tanzania

Delaware
Level Contributor
16 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Visa for Tanzania

My husband and I are heading to Tanzania in February to climb Kilamanjaro. Can anyone make a recommendation if it is better to apply for the Visa ahead of time or when we are at the airport? Any insight to this process woud be very much appreciated.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa for Tanzania

Most will tell you to get it on arrival, presumably at Kilimanjaro airport (JRO). No worries that way about losing your passport in the mail and having to be bothered with photos. No photos are necessary getting it on arrival. Just bring your visa fee in newer bills (2006 and up) that are in good condition. You can find the visa application online, print it out and complete it ahead of time, having it ready for the visa personnel.

Edited: 11 December 2012, 17:29
Espoo, Finland
Level Contributor
38 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa for Tanzania

We arrived JRO 3 weeks ago with KLM flight. The cabin attendants distributed visa application forms onboard during flight ,we filled in, going through immigration was a breeze -less than 10 mins. No photos, just handed over $50 (I believe $100 for you). Could not be easier

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,674 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa for Tanzania

I think this is the most commonly-asked question on here, so there are lots of posts you can read to see what experiences other visitors had.

I've obtained a visa on arrival, and another time, bought one in advance.

Both have their merits, but I think the risk of sending off a passport outweighs any convenience you might get from having the visa in advance.

Normally, there are two queues (lines) - one for people with visas, and one for those obtaining them at the airport.

Immigration staff are sometimes shuffled around to deal with the longer queue. So, it shouldn't make much difference what category you are in.

Then you wait for an hour for your luggage :-)....

Yorktown Heights, NY
Level Contributor
30 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa for Tanzania

Perhaps a stupid question but do we pay for our visas with US dollars?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,532 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa for Tanzania

The application states USD, so it's USD... easy!

6. Re: Visa for Tanzania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Kilimanjaro National...