We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleeping bags

Chelmsford, England
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sleeping bags

Looking for some advice regarding sleeping bags and I'm trying to get my kit for my trek in June together. Will a season 3 sleeping bag be sufficient? They are obviously noticeably cheaper than 4 season bags!

Thanks in advance for your help

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
119 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sleeping bags

Hi Helen

We used down sleeping bags rated at -8C with additional sleeping bag inners – which theoretically add an extra 3C to the bag rating. To sleep, we dressed in GOOD thermal gear, with fleece tops and pants, thick socks, beanie, buff and down hut booties and we were as warm as toast inside our bags. When we were at Barafu Hut, it was so cold that the condensation actually froze INSIDE the tent overnight, and yet we were perfectly warm. The coldest part of sleeping was trying to warm up our hiking clothes in the morning before putting them on !! Team Kilimanjaro (the Company that we trekked with) provide thick foam mattresses to sleep on, and I think that this also played a large role in keeping us warm and assisting with getting a comfortable nights rest.

Have a FANTASTIC trek.

London, England...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sleeping bags

The post above is complete RUBBISH. Ignore it.

It gets VERY VERY cold above Shira 2. You will need sleeping bags rated to AT LEAST -25C. This is what people carry up there and still, everyone shivers in cold at Barafu, Karanga and Kibo camps. Don't take this lightly. Kilimanjaro may be in Africa, but it's bitterly cold above 4000m.

In addition to the warmest bag you can get your hands on, I would advise Exped Downmats for sleeping. Have fun.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
119 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sleeping bags

Hi Philip

Thanks for the comment - I guess you were actually there with me on Kilimanjaro to KNOW with such confidence that I am talking "complete RUBBISH" (as you put it).

The sleeping bags that both my wife and I used in July 2011 are called: First Ascent Ice Breaker - which is rated at -8C, and we were both warm inside our bags and dressed as I described in the post above.

I see that you are suddenly very busy posting on multiple Kilimanjaro topics with an abundance of somewhat dubious "knowledge" like knowing that ALL western operators resell their tours to Zara or AWC and some very dodgy comments about Yellow Fever innoculations. Some advice that you may not like - try to temper your "knowledge" with a large dose of humility - it may make the information that you are sharing a little easier to digest.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sleeping bags

Have you thought of hiring your kit from Trek Hire Uk. They are near Guildford in Surrey.You can hire rab down bags with a extreme rate of -30 and most of your kit.They also run kit preparation days which is held by guys who have climbed kili.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
139 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sleeping bags

I went in October and used my North Face 15 F(-10 in C). It, along with sleeping in good thermal gear, kept me warm and comfortable at every camp even with freezing temps at the higher camps.

Though I am sure our new "expert" Phiip will believe this is rubbish as well.

London, England...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sleeping bags

I've been up Kili 3 times on 3 different routes, with 3 different companies. You cannot be warm in Barafu or Kibo in a -10C bag. Either you had all your clothes on you, or there is something you are not telling ;)

London, England...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sleeping bags

Concerning dodgy comments on Yellow Fever. I guess you just did a vaccination for nothing, did you? It's not going to hurt you in the long run. But you should have done some research before sticking yourself with a needle:

Entry Requirements - Yellow Fever Certificates

Travellers from non-endemic countries travelling to Tanzania (including the Zanzibar islands of Unguja and Pemba) do not require a Yellow Fever Certificate. Please note, however, that travellers from non-endemic countries that travel through an endemic country are subject to yellow fever vaccination only if they stay outside the Airport or have a long connection up to twelve hours.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
139 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sleeping bags

Yesterday, you said you climbed up Kili 2 times with 2 different operators?! Very impressive to have added an additional climb in one day.

Not on here to argue with you, only to relay my experiences and to offer advice to those who ask in the most constructive way possible. I slept comfortably in my bag and remained warm throughout with my thermals on as I said in my prior post.

To the OP, good luck with your trek!!

London, England...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Sleeping bags

It's amazing what can happen in one day ;) Obviously a typo. Zara and AWC were my guides on Lemosho and Rongai.

All the best to the traveller ;)

Chelmsford, England
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sleeping bags

Thanks everyone for the comments, even if opinions differ greatly! I am considering hiring some of the kit, but would like my own sleeping bag really.

Get answers to your questions about Kilimanjaro National...