We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climbing Kilimanjaro - Action Challenge or another Operator?

Worcester, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Climbing Kilimanjaro - Action Challenge or another Operator?

Im trying to decide on a operator to climb Kilimanjaro with in August 2014. I climbed Kilimanjaro (unfortunately didn't summit) with Action Challenge a few years ago. Things I liked about them:-

Doctor

UK leader

Tents/Mess Tents were great especially in comparison to some others I saw on the mountain

Porters were fantastic

Food was decent (we were all ill so I didn't eat much)

All inclusive

Hotels Pre and Post climb very comfortable

However, I thought the group was far too big - about 40 people and I hear you can summit in the day instead of at night which is what action challenge do? Decent go confusing as half the group wanted to run down and the rest of us walked but some how they also abandoned me on the way down and I ended up on my own (while still being ill) and another groups Doctor who was absolutely lovely stopped to help me. I was safe and some of my group who were behind caught up with me so it wasn't the end of the world but it just highlighted the fact that maybe there were too many people in the group.

My fiancé and I would like to raise money for charity and climb Kilimanjaro and I originally thought of Action Challenge however I just have that feeling of "what if there is better....". I rang action challenge to ask a question and was slightly put off by the "I cant be bothered" tone I received.

Has anyone had a really great experience who have good equipment etc? I know its not 5* luxury and its hard and don't expect complete comfort but a decent tent etc makes a huge difference.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

hong kong
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Climbing Kilimanjaro - Action Challenge or another Operator?

I am planning to visit Tanzania this December and am surprised to see that the price from the tour operators are very high. Trekking to Kilimanjaro is very expensive. .Have anyone tried the Marangu Hotel's 'hardway" climb? How hard is it ?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Climbing Kilimanjaro - Action Challenge or another Operator?

What is the "Hardway climb"? Please elaborate.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
23. Re: Climbing Kilimanjaro - Action Challenge or another Operator?

My wife and I went up the Rongai route on the north side of Kilimanjaro, made the summit and had some amazing guides and porters. It made a huge difference and they even agreed to do the trip on just the two of us, so it was a private departure. The company was really good and was called Walks Worldwide. If you’re considering Kili, I think they have some booking offers on at present that end this month, so I would definitely have a look at their site: www.walksworldwide.com

I also think they use the same porters and team that helped the Comic Relief team to the top.

hong kong
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Climbing Kilimanjaro - Action Challenge or another Operator?

Hard-way climb means climbers bring all their own food and equipment, and catering for themselves on the climb. The hotel arranges guides and porters for climbers as well as booking hut accommodation. Has anyone tried this out, pl give advise and comments

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Climbing Kilimanjaro - Action Challenge or another Operator?

Kingmak-

That would be an entire pain in the a$$ and extremely strenuous. Why not hire some local people and give them employment? I felt this way when I recently climbed Mt Meru, and those who were self-catering were whining about the weight of their packs and all the cr@p they had to bring (I compared prices with them and it looks like they saved a whopping $70 more than I did for the 4-day trip). You will be in even more pain on Kili, as it is much higher. Spend a few more bucks and help support the local economy.

hong kong
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Climbing Kilimanjaro - Action Challenge or another Operator?

I totally like to support local economy. When I trekked Annapurna, I only trekked with a porter and a guide and I do not like the idea that the middleman gets most of the money while the guys who really do the job are paid on the minimum.

Is the park ranger in Mt Meru trek all the way to the top or he will leave at some point as they group people together for trekking Mt Meru ?

Mombasa Kenya
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Climbing Kilimanjaro - Action Challenge or another Operator?

Check some options on www.lilacadventures.com as they will never put you in a group but specialize in personalized services.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Climbing Kilimanjaro - Action Challenge or another Operator?

Kingmak-

You are required to go with a park ranger as there are wild animals. You walk through a lovely part of a "mini-Serengeti" where you will see warthogs, numerous buffalo, plenty of monkeys and giraffes. The giraffes won't hurt you but. the buffalo can sometimes get unruly. Atter the day 1 trek to the first hut, I was joined by my guide to was with me the rest of the time. I went with one friend and it cost us $480 per person, everything included (all food, our cook, guide, parks fees, hut fees, etc). I thought this was very reasonable and the only thing we ended up paying for were tips after we got back to our safari car after the 4-day climb ended.

Here's my set of photos of the Mt Meru climb, if you care to have a look

http://bit.ly/1bhpvR4

Edited: 24 October 2013, 08:44
hong kong
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Climbing Kilimanjaro - Action Challenge or another Operator?

Thank you so much for the nice photos !!

So Mt Meru is on the cloud line and Mt kilimanjaro on the snowline?

$480 is really very reasonable. May I know which company you are with and the contact pl.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Climbing Kilimanjaro - Action Challenge or another Operator?

Hi Kingmak

Yes, it is a good deal and we had a very memorable climb. The 2nd hut is above the cloudline. It is amazing how the climate changes 100% once you get through the rain forest. It usually doesn't rain in August but we had rain on the 2nd day and a little drizzle on the last day coming back through the rain forest.

Kili is so high there are snows at the top (plus some glacial ice) year-round. The locals say it is disappearing at a rapid rate and that in 10 years, it all might be gone.:-(

I'll send you a private message with the company I used & their contact information.

Get answers to your questions about Kilimanjaro National...