We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crater camp for one more night on Lemosho route?

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
crater camp for one more night on Lemosho route?

I am afraid to stay at crater night on Lemosho route will increase chance of attitude sickness because of the cold and high attitude.

Should I decide just reach the summit on the 8th day instead. I am just normal fit.

Can anyone provide some help for the answer?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
262 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: crater camp for one more night on Lemosho route?

Micvhael, you are right to worry but if your operator is competent, they would have the necessary time in place for acclimatization for the altitude. I am doing the Lemosho, Crater Camp route in Oct and can tell you how it was afterwards but if you're going before Oct, I can't give you my personal experience. I can only say that it is done successfully by many. I have not done Kili before but have done other high altitude trekking. Some people suffer from altitude sickness, some don't. I did not even have a headache last time (18+K feet altitude) but that means nothing for the next time.....

Choose your operator wisely and prepare well. Cold may be uncomfortable if you don't have warm enough clothes but it will not add to AMS woes. If you're nervous about this, perhaps you should rethink your route and itinerary because many of these endeavours are not just physical challenges but mental ones as well.

Good luck.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: crater camp for one more night on Lemosho route?

Hello,

Also may check this review and contact them, hope they will provide more descriptions tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293750-i11370-k64…

Keep planning.!

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: crater camp for one more night on Lemosho route?

Tks for your prompt response. I will think it over my plan.

Sydney
Level Contributor
195 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: crater camp for one more night on Lemosho route?

Hi Micvhael

I have done the Western Breach, Crater route and your tour operator must be competent and experienced with the crater and have the necessary safety equipment to handle any emergencies.

5. Re: crater camp for one more night on Lemosho route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2014, 06:19