We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insurance comapny for Hike to Mt Kilimanjaro

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Insurance comapny for Hike to Mt Kilimanjaro

Hello, Can anyone suggest Insurance company that covers emergency evacuation , medical care in case unexpected situation develops for hike to Mount Kilimanjaro? I have tried a couple US based cos but did not like their coverage or conditions Thanks

ks

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
952 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insurance comapny for Hike to Mt Kilimanjaro

I would suggest that you look at insurance from World Nomads. Their policies cover treks up to 6,000 meters. Which means Kili is covered. They have different underwriters depending on your age, nationality, etc. Nearly all of our clients take a policy with them. So far we have not had a claim, so I can't tell you how they are on that end of things, but from what I have heard they are very professional.

In addition to the international cover, be sure that you Trekking company pays an extra evacuation insurance with AMREF Flying Doctors. This does not replace the normal insurance, but it is a way to speed up the process if there was a need for an evacuation. It only costs the Trekking company $5 per client, so don't let them charge you more than that. In the end this extra expense means that the Trekking Company has registered you with AMREF and created a file with your International Insurance Policy. So if there is an Evacuation needed, the trekking company can call AMREF direct and get the helicopter sent without any delays. If you do not have this extra AMREF cover, then the Trekking Company must contact your insurance provider who will then assesses the situation and if they believe it is necessary they will then contact AMREF to order an evacuation. Too many steps in the process if you are in a critical life threatening state.

Hope this helps.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
271 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insurance comapny for Hike to Mt Kilimanjaro

I also used World Nomads. They have a good reputation.

United States
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Insurance comapny for Hike to Mt Kilimanjaro

Travel Guard and World Nomads are what we recommend for high altitude trekking insurance.

4. Re: Insurance comapny for Hike to Mt Kilimanjaro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Kilimanjaro National...