We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Typical payment options for the climb

Fort Myers, Florida
1 post
Save Topic
Typical payment options for the climb

We are planning to climb Kilimanjaro and the company we are going with (TK) seems to have a good reputation (with overwhelmingly positive reviews on here) but they recommend payment using a wire transfer to an account in a different country (Belize). The only other options are cash once we arrive or credit card (with an additional fee). The transfer seems to be the cheapest or safest but something about wiring money to Belize for a trip in Africa seems odd. I just wanted to see if anyone else had any experience / thoughts with any of these options and whether this type of thing was common.

Bagram, Afghanistan
Level Contributor
59 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Typical payment options for the climb

Kjamesk,

I dont know about other company but I used Gladys adventure when I climbed last February. Paying cash or card were accepted or you can split it half with cash and card both

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Typical payment options for the climb

That does seem quite strange. Normally you would wire the funds to an account in Tanzania. But we do often find that many hotels are owned by overseas companies and they will sometimes ask for funds to be wired to an account in their home country. This also makes sense.

So if the operator is not located and registered in Belize, I would be quite suspicious. The person you are in communication with could have intercepted your correspondence and is acting as the are from the TO. There have even been fake websites that closely mimic a real operator to do exactly this. Or the operator is getting payments in a third country in order to avoid paying taxes, which is also not correct.

It is easy to find out. Ask where the company is registered and get a copy of the license. If they are registered in Belize then it could all be legit. But if not, then it is either a scam or a company acting unethically.

1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Typical payment options for the climb

Surely the money should be paid in Tanzania so taxes are paid and the local community benefits rather than some foreign company.

4. Re: Typical payment options for the climb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Kilimanjaro National...