We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skyline Travel and Safaris - Mt. Kilimanjaro Hike

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Skyline Travel and Safaris - Mt. Kilimanjaro Hike

Has anyone ever used this company for hiking up Mt. Kilimanjaro? I wanted to see if they are a good company to go with. Please share your experiences! Thanks!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
271 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skyline Travel and Safaris - Mt. Kilimanjaro Hike

Interesting that you just joined tripadvisor, and mentioned a tour company that doesn't even come up on a tripadvisor search. If you aren't trying to promote an agency, why would you consider one that isn't even mentioned on tripadvisor?

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
591 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skyline Travel and Safaris - Mt. Kilimanjaro Hike

They have a website, for sure, with offices in NY state and TZ. They do safaris all over the place, not just TZ. Go with a local, Tanzania-based company, and one that specializes in climbing Kili. There are many highly recommended Kili outfitters, people who know the mountain. Your life is in their hands!

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skyline Travel and Safaris - Mt. Kilimanjaro Hike

Please don't make negative assumption without asking questions first. I'm not trying to promote anything here. I always depend on the good people on Trip Advisor who share their honest traveling experiences on this site. I'm just beginning to travel more now and this site really helps with my trip planning. The reason I asked about this company was because there is a deal on livingsocial.com right now with this company. I couldn't find any reviews so I was just wondering if they were a new company or if other people have any experiences with them. That's all.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skyline Travel and Safaris - Mt. Kilimanjaro Hike

Thanks Kathy for your input. I'm new at this so your suggestion is very helpful :)

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
271 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skyline Travel and Safaris - Mt. Kilimanjaro Hike

Nancy, I am sorry and should not have jumped to conclusions. I get so frustrated with so many fake posts/reviews, and it especially seems there are a lot for Kilimanjaro. That was about the first time I posted anything negative like that and now I realize I probably look that "that" person on TA that nobody likes. So again, I apologize.

Anyway, I did look at the living social deal. You would be staying at the same hotel we did which was Springlands that is owned by Zara. I think that it's probably a decent deal since it includes airfare. The only negative I saw is it is the 5 day Marangu route. I would advise no less than six days for the hike and more if possible to give you more time to acclimize. We used Zara and did the 7 day Machame route with success. And like Kathy said, I would definitely go with a local Tanzanian company rather than one based in the US. From what I understand Zara is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, local Kili operator and many others contract with them and use their porters, so the Skyline people could be contacting with them.

Sorry again and good luck!

6. Re: Skyline Travel and Safaris - Mt. Kilimanjaro Hike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 August 2014, 19:36
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
591 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skyline Travel and Safaris - Mt. Kilimanjaro Hike

You are most welcome Nancy.

OPW - one post wonders - get "attacked" here often, as there are so many posts from people who it seems (on first look) to be made for the sole purpose of promoting a company by asking "have you heard of such and such company." Sad thing is, we all started out at one time as a first time poster.

There are many companies to choose from when looking at a Kili climb. I would be certain to ask if your climb is being handled by the company you are booking with, or if it is being sub-contracted to another company. If sub-contracted, there will be a mark-up to the booking company, a fee you might be able to save if you book direct. I would suggest a search here, for reputable companies that are LICENSED to climb the mountain:

http://kiato.org/

http://www.kiliporters.org/

http://www.tatotz.org

The company should hold a TALA license for climbing Kili, issued in their name, if they are the outfitter conducting the climb. There are MORE companies that do not have a TALA, than do have one. There are two types of TALA, one for safari and one for the mountain.

2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Skyline Travel and Safaris - Mt. Kilimanjaro Hike

Exactly!!!!!! I'm looking too!

2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Skyline Travel and Safaris - Mt. Kilimanjaro Hike

Exactly!!!!!! I'm looking too! Also looking at Abercrombie and kent

10. Re: Skyline Travel and Safaris - Mt. Kilimanjaro Hike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 October 2014, 22:05
Get answers to your questions about Kilimanjaro National...