We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern circuit in November

Between New York...
Level Contributor
71 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Northern circuit in November

My son is working in Arusha and I am going to meet him in the middle of November with about a week set aside for a safari.

1-Any recommendations for quality tour operators who can do a budget safari? (Some camping / some walking ok.)

2-Any recommendations for an itinerary that lets us see as much as possible without spending too much time driving from place to place?

3-What will the weather be like and should we avoid any area at this time of year?

Thanks much!!!!

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern circuit in November

Hi

With 7 days and the wish not to do much time driving, but see as much as possible, thats a a tall order :-)

Basically i would say do Tarangire /Serengeti/ Ngorongoro/ =4 days then have a day walking in the Olomoti -Embakai crater area, and Lake Manyara on the return leg, and a days walking safari in Arusha NP.

The may be a rain but it wont spoil a safari & helps keep the dust down :-)

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern circuit in November

ea... you will probably want to do a budget camping safari where they will provide you with tents, take a cook along to cook your meals; this will be the best way to do a budget safari (and some would say that it's the best way to safari there.) A couple of places that you won't want to miss would be Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti. According to the year (and the rains) you may miss the migration but there are plenty of resident animals in the Serengeti to see. As Achnab told you there will most probably be rains at that time of the year, but it won't be raining all the time.

Why don't you contact Base Camp Tanzania www.basecamptanzania.com and see what they might be able to do for you. They are a good reliable company. You can also find a lot of other companies listed on the member page of the association of Tanzania touting operators www.tatotz.org.

Between New York...
Level Contributor
71 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern circuit in November

Hi Achnab & Karl,

Thanks for the info. I'm very intrigued by the idea of a walking day in Arusha park and the tent safari sounds great.

1-With the possibility of rain is tenting going to be ok or a quagmire?

2-I'm assuming that one has to camp in designated areas / what are these like (how rough / private)?

3-Is a bucket shower and a cold beer at the end of the day possible?

Thanks again!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern circuit in November

A bucket shower is very possible. The cold beer is contingent upon having electricity for a cooler. Cool beer is more likely.

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern circuit in November

Hi

1-With the possibility of rain is tenting going to be ok or a quagmire?

(A) Most of the time it is mornings and evenings when it rains, the main raod are not too bad some of the smaller tracks cant be used if heavy rains.

2-I'm assuming that one has to camp in designated areas / what are these like (how rough / private)?

(A) yes there are public camps with a long drop toilet and cold shower - often no water in Serengeti.

3-Is a bucket shower and a cold beer at the end of the day possible?

(A) Yup

Karl you must know about the sock ? wet a nice thick sock with the beer inside and hang it up on a tree or something and evaperation leads to condesation.........leads to a cold beer !! a can works best.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northern circuit in November

achnab... I sure do know about this. I used to use a flannel shirt in Canada when I was fishing there. Keep it wet and evaporation will do the rest. Amazing what one will do for a cold beer.

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Northern circuit in November

Hi Karl

Just had this picture flash through my pea-like :-)

Two old geezers sitting drinking cold beer one with no shirt and the other with one sock Lol :-)

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Northern circuit in November

You depicted it well... lol!!

9. Re: Northern circuit in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 03:19
Get answers to your questions about Serengeti National Park