We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cleanliness of Tanzania NP public campsite facilities

California
9 posts
Save Topic
Cleanliness of Tanzania NP public campsite facilities

Anybody actually used national park campsites and know whether the restroom and shower facilities are reasonably clean? We plan to book a budget camping safari staying at Serengeti Seronera and Ngorongoro Simba. A bit concerned about the facilities so would appreciate any information

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,979 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cleanliness of Tanzania NP public campsite facilities

Its a jungle out there.

Sorry, not been a user of the campsites.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cleanliness of Tanzania NP public campsite facilities

Here's a photo of one:

http://www.go-safari.com/NCA/Simbaajpg8.jpg

California
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cleanliness of Tanzania NP public campsite facilities

eh...it's worse than I thought...Thank you for the link!!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cleanliness of Tanzania NP public campsite facilities

Heck! That's a relatively good one. At least you can see the floor in there!

Actually they are not that bad. I have seen worse in so called developed countries.

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cleanliness of Tanzania NP public campsite facilities

A picture IS worth a thousand words! This brings me back to my post on short-drop toilets. Wormsrascal, we flushing girls have to stick together. KarenSS, maybe you should kick in a little more and make your budget safari a mid-range one.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,915 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cleanliness of Tanzania NP public campsite facilities

While I haven't used facilities at public campsites, I've had occasion when in dire emergency to have to use a public toilet at the guards gate or similar... ugh! Survived, but wouldn't be my choice.

But, I've seen some nasty facilities in major European, Asian and US cities. When they're public and if there is no staff cleaning them constantly... you get what you get.

Maybe consider a camping on "special" campsites... this with a facility set up and is for you and you only and provides a seat to sit on.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cleanliness of Tanzania NP public campsite facilities

And don't forget the head torch (ladies and gentlemen.)

Somerville, New...
Level Contributor
866 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cleanliness of Tanzania NP public campsite facilities

Yeah a seat is always a good thing and when it flushes, its like hitting the jackpot!

She might be spending more time in there than anticipated ;) Those box lunches,that arent on ice and in the heat all day, scared me.

Im with Ginny, spring for an upgrade!

California
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cleanliness of Tanzania NP public campsite facilities

I already did the upgrade. Thank you everyone for your response. Yes, a picture is worth a thousand words, although I added on the flies and the smell using my own imagination...Figured the $$ difference is not worth braving such condition for 8 days!

10. Re: Cleanliness of Tanzania NP public campsite facilities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2011, 07:24
Get answers to your questions about Serengeti National Park