We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Serengeti in mid May to Early June

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
7 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Serengeti in mid May to Early June

Good day everyone,

I am trying to spec out a potential trip to Serengeti in mid May (depart May 18 and return about June 2, 2011). Leave from Denver. Family of 4. All adults.

We would like to maximaize our expereince but focus on Serengeti migration (which believe is still occuring according to what I have read briefly online).

Is this reasonable or not ?

What is the best to see at that time. Any suggestions on tour operators etc. ?

Time is restricted as kids are finishing college and I have to retrun to work. I might be able to get a few days extra.

Thanks in advance.

Gulf Blue

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,581 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Serengeti in mid May to Early June

Mid May to June is a pretty good time to go also should be end of the rainy season all green- In May prices should be a bit lower.

The Migration should be heading from Seronera to the Western Serengeti.

Also wouldn't miss Tarangire or Manyara.

I would fly out to Seronera from Arusha for the first night and then camp for three or four nights in the Seronera area probably a bit to the West. I would go for a private campsite where only your group would be for the first nights. These private camps are excellent for small groups for the evening ambience around the fire not to mention the animals that normally and can come close to the camp.

Then head off to Ngorongoro Manyara and finishing up at Tarangire. Manyara is great for the rainforest and lake. While at Manyara I would go for a walk along the lake shore and maybe visit the markets at Mto wa Mbu. here you will see so many types of bananas you wont believe it.

Tarangire for baobabs birds and of course elephants.

Tarangire can be combined with village and school visits.

Also visits to Maasai Bomas that are not set up for tourists. I would do a night drive at Tarangire and an early morning walk. Stay outside the park as this can be the best way to see the whole Tarangire eco-system.

I would send your ideas to about 5 tour operators and ask for suggestions. Don't mention a budget as often an operator then has preconceived ideas and will try to design an itinerary around a budget not necessarily what is best for the group. I prefer local Tanzanian operators- they own the vehicles and normally I like the fact they live in Arusha-hands on approach.

Try these for a start- the list is not exhaustive but most are middle of the range operators with excellent recent reviews here on trip advisor.

stacy_readal@dumaexplorer.com

leopard tours@leopardtours.co.tz

simon@eastafricansafari.info

sunny@arusha.com

shidolya@habari.co.tz

swala@habari.co.tz

If you have any other questions don't hestitate to ask.

Mentioned in this post
Seronera
Seronera
1,114 Reviews
Serengeti National Park, Tanzania
arusha
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Serengeti in mid May to Early June

According to your travel dates, you will have at least 12 full days in Tanzania. There is a lot you can do, but with your emphasis being on the Great Migration of the Wildebeests, I will recommend you spend a minimum of 2 days in central Serengeti/Seronera area and a minimum of 2 days in the western corridor. You will save money if you can plan so that all your stay in Serengeti and Ngorongoro falls in the May to take advantage of low season prices.

I will also recommend 2 days in Tarangire and the rest of the days you can plan according to your interests. There is a lot to do in the area apart from a regular wildlife viewing to maximize your experience, from cultural experiences to hiking.

As Noexpert mentioned above, make a list of operators and explain to them your plan, have them propose an itinerary and compare prices.

Mentioned in this post
Seronera
Seronera
1,114 Reviews
South Africa
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Serengeti in mid May to Early June

May is still a reasonably good time for the Ndutu area too - the large herds have moved off but there is plenty of wildlife around, and the rates are lower. But I agree with the advice above - focus on the central Seronera area, and the western corridor. If budget allows, I recommend a balloon safari.

Regards,

Onne

Mentioned in this post
Seronera
Seronera
1,114 Reviews
California
Level Contributor
483 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Serengeti in mid May to Early June

See attached interactive map of migration..... shows approximately where migration is for every month of the year. Route and location of herd can vary from year to year based on climate (obviously), but additional information none the less. We will be arriving in Tanz in early June..... enjoy!

http://www.eyesonafrica.net/migration.htm

As a side note, will you be visiting Zanzibar also? If you have about 2 weeks I imagine you will be doing more than just a safari.... would recommend Zanzibar island for some sun and relaxation after safari..... or visit the Southern circuit (Selous, Ruaha, Mikumi etc.).

Edited: 03 January 2011, 16:41
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Serengeti in mid May to Early June

GB-

That is plenty of time. You will not need all of your time in Serengeti. You will get to see plenty of the migration (though it will be ending around that time). I suggest Lake Manyara and Ngorongoro Crater as well as Serengeti. That should really give you and your family a variety, plus a break from the heat will be nice.

You should be able to get a private safari, for just your family at a good rate (based upon accommodation preferences of course.)

Here are a few other tour operators' contact info below. Make sure you go with a local company that uses local (though professional) guides. Many times companies are based outside of Tanzania and thus the profits arent really supporting Tanzania's development. Or with really big companies, sometimes it's hard for the company to keep track of the guides and then it's easier for guides to be irresponsible. These ones I have had really great experiences with and are local:

info@aardvark-expeditions.com

info@oneworldsafaris.com

Mentioned in this post
6. Re: Serengeti in mid May to Early June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2011, 07:36