We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Serengeti in late June

New Jersey
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Serengeti in late June

We are planning a trip to Serengeti in the last 10 days of June. Is the western corridor on the central plains the best viewing area? We are tentatively planning to be in one of the camps around the Grumeti river. Would that be a good spot at that time? Any good safari tour companies for a medium budget? Thanks.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Serengeti in late June

Hi

There are many good safari companies for any budget. I often recommend 5 or 6 good middle of the range safari companies on this forum. I would email them and ask for some ideas and then compare prices and suggestions.

For late June I would stay in the Seronera area and depending on the movement of the animals consider Mbalageti, Kirawira and somewhere near the Grumeti River.

I would check availability and ask the operators what they think. It is not a bad idea also to hegde your bet and spend a few nights central and then a few more West

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Serengeti in late June

I agree with NE, plan for a few days in the Seronera area (which is central) and then a few days in the western corridor, near the Grumeti river. Timing the migration and especially river crossings is never an exact science, you won't know in advance exactly where the best spot will be, because it depends on rainfall and probably several other things which only the wildebeest know about.

For a good middle of the range safari company who will book a privately guided safari for you (no other guests on board) try Multichoice safaris. I have personally used them and was very impressed.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Serengeti in late June

I like recommending Aardvark Expeditions as a mid range and One World Safaris as a budget. Both are great local companies that I have had experiences with.

info@aardvark-expeditions.com

info@oneworldsafaris.com

Depending how many are in your group, you could do a luxury tented camp (which is a really nice hybrid between lodges and budget camping bc you get your own bathroom, hot water, etc, but not super pricey.) And there are some BEAUTIFUL luxury tented camps in fantastic viewing areas, like Tanganyika Wilderness Camps. They are great.

Cambridge
Level Contributor
344 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Serengeti in late June

Hi Musha, would the tented camps like Tanganika be more or less expensive per night than the lodges like Serengeti Serena please?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,473 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Serengeti in late June

Only if you ask the outfitter for prices of both properties will you know for certain.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Serengeti in late June

Tanganyika will be more expensive than Serena, however Moivaro Luxury Tented Camps are also fantastic and they will be cheaper, for 2011 anyway.

7. Re: Serengeti in late June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2011, 07:23