We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good tour company

Chapin, South...
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Good tour company

I would like a tour company that will take care of the details of my trip, but I can take care of myself (or my husband can). In other words, I don't have to be on a bus with a large group. I would like for the company to arrange the trip with transfers to and from the airport and the points of lodging. Any help out there? We want to visit Serengeti National Park. Also, what month should we consider?

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good tour company

Hi Newton, typically in Tanzania your ground operator will not only conduct transfers to and from lodgings, but also conduct your game drives while on safari. And most of them would prefer to also book your accommodation and quote you a price that includes accommodation, transfers, game drives and local flights (you pay the same as when you book direct, but the operator earns some commission from booking the accommodation).

There are many operators and agents who can do what you requested. Some people prefer to deal directly with a ground operator in Tanzania. I can recommend Multichoice safaris - they will not add you on a vehicle with a big group, you will have a vehicle and guide exclusively for yourself. Others prefer to work with an agent in their home country, most of whom have a preferred ground operator they use in Tanzania (like Leopard Tours or whatever). You may want to contact Brian from Acces 2 Tanzania (www.access2tanzania.com), they are based in the US but also have an office in Arusha, so they are a ground operator. I have never met Brian but he posts regularly on this forum and has an excellent reputation.

Regarding what months to consider, you can consider any month! June to October is the most popular (but then you also pay high season rates). The short rains start in November (which is also a good time), December to Feb is very popular again (calving season on the southern plains) and from March to early May is the rainy season (long rains). May is nice, because you can still get low season rates and with some luck the rains will have stopped. Honestly, there is no bad time to visit the Serengeti.

Hope this helps!

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,892 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good tour company

Any local Tanzania tour operator will be able to organise your safari. Local operators have not only hands on experience and the local knowledge so important in planning itineraries.As previoulsy mentioned they will organize all accomodation, transfers, game drives and other small details. Most Tanzanian operators organize private safaris that means only you and your group.

I would email about 5 of them and ask them for a quote- mention your time of travel and number of days and interests you have. Then try and get the feel for the operator and see how he or she try to fit what you want into the itinerary.

These operators below can be added to those already mentioned and are Arusha based operators with the investment to match all with the owners living in Arusha.

stacy_readal@dumaexplorer.com

leopard tours@leopardtours.co.tz

simon@eastafricansafari.info

sunny@arusha.com

shidolya@habari.co.tz

swala@habari.co.tz

The best time to visit:

Any time is a good time to visit Tanzania plenty of wildlife scenery and culture. Peaceful country and peaceful people. As well as the Serengeti I would visit Tarangire try a night drive and village visits. Manyara and Ngorongoro. If you have time spend some also at Mto wa Mbu.Depending on your time frame Feb. staying at Ndutu will offer an experience not to be missed with the wildebeest calving and the predators and other wildlife also present. So If you can manage it and wait then I would go for a Feb. 2012 trip and try and spend min. 4 days in the Serengeti.

Edited: 05 January 2011, 11:23
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good tour company

Best time to go - February and be in the Ndutu area of the Serengeti. The wildebeests will be having their calvces at that time and this not only is a good sight but it also attracts all the predators. Probaboly one of the best times to be there.

I would also visit other parks, Tarangire and Ngorongoro Crater.

All safari operators will have you in a private safari if you ask for this (most do this by default) and you will be the only people in the safari vehicle. I would also suggest a Tanzania based safari operator as they know the lay of the land and the pecularities of the year you will be there better then those who are agents from afar.

Most all safari operators will meet you at the airport and if you wish will be with you for the entire journey taking you back to the airport to fly home.

Humboldt County...
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good tour company

Ken Hieber at 2Afrika.com

I just got back from Africa, for the second time, and the trip details were seamless!!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good tour company

Why must people revive three week old posts just to tell us about Ken Heiber?

California
Level Contributor
453 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good tour company

Lol Mfuwe, your friend L0retta actually has 3 posts.... all today.... all pushing the same company (2Afrika).... grain of salt to all readers.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good tour company

I know. Rose of Africa has also been joined by a 'friend' too.#

When will Operators realise that such posts reflect very badly on then as they will be adjudged chancers and spammers and then ignored?

End of Lecture. Off to my post prandial.

Humboldt County...
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good tour company

Mfuwe,

So, it won't come as a surprise, I have reported your comments as inappropriate. You made a snide comment in another forum and now this. I don't know you, and am new to Trip Advisor. I just returned from a lovely vacation and wanted to share the experience. I have simply been responding to posts in the Travel Forum. I am NOT posting old posts, matter of fact I was in Africa 3 weeks ago. I don't work for Ken or 2Afrika. But they did plan my trip and it was perfect.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,892 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Good tour company

LOretta

Hi welcome to the forum. I believe after the recent adverse publicity 2Afrika received your post is opportune for that company. Having said that everybody has a right to post except blatant advertising. But if people are thinking of using 2Afrika I would suggest they read the other post and then travel with a local Tanzanian Tour operator. There are many in Arusha. The local companies own the vehicles have an investment, have the owners living right there and have a better hands on experience than an overseas agent which I would never recommend anyody use.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good tour company

LOretta,

Inappropriate. If you say so. Others may not agree. Welcome to the Forum. 10 posts, all today. Busy Busy.

2 had not been used this year, 2 not since jan 5th, 2 had no new posts for over a week. If you want to praise 2Afrika feel free. But reviving old posts to do so is counterproductive.

Edited: 26 January 2011, 22:24