We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Serengeti in November 2011

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
35 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Serengeti in November 2011

Hi,

We are a family of 4(3 adults and 1 child) wanting to do a lodge safari in serengeti. We are coming in from Dubai to DAR. While I am going for the recommended tour operators by the experts here, I was wondering what schudule to follow? Is a night in DAR necessary or can we do a connecting flight to from the ariport given that our flight touches down at 330 pm. A tree house and a balloon ride are what we are definitely aiming for. Any suggestions?

1 adult is vegetarian. Is he going to survive this trip:))))

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Serengeti in November 2011

Whether you need to spend a night in Dar is according to all the schedules, and only you will know that. It will take you most likely an hour to pass through all the passport control, getting luggage, and going through customs; sometimes less than that but you should count on that much time if making a connection.

Make certain that your safari operator know that one is a vegetarian and they can be accommodated. Many are.

Again for the specific lodges and balloon ride you want to do just make certain that your safari operator knows these things and they will accommodate you.a

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,402 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Serengeti in November 2011

You should be able to connect to a flight to Arusha in that evening. Then I would overnight there before beginning your safari.

Go to tarangire, Manyara perhaps the Tree Lodge there but quite expensive.

Then onto Serengeti via Ngorongoro.

You can do the balloon ride from the lodges around Seronera.

There are many vegetarians in Tanzania and all lodges will cater for them.

I would tell your operator however of your special food requirements. They will easily be catered for.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,468 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Serengeti in November 2011

Last time I came that way (EK from Dubai) ariving at 15.25 I was comfortably able to get on the Precision flight to JRO leaving at 18.30. They go from the same termnal so it was almost too easy. Immigration, to Precisions Office 'outside' to check in again, back through Security. Time for too much shopping, a couple of phone calls, a snack and a Beer or three.

then overnight in Arusha before leaving on Safari next morning.

As the others say, just specify to your Operator/Agent what you want to do, and not eat, and they will make a good plan for you.

November is a good time to visit, not peak, but I would not leave booking too late.

Somerville, New...
Level Contributor
866 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Serengeti in November 2011

I am a vegetarian.

I was never hungry on safari. There were many options.

I never went hungry.

Even my box lunches were prepared accordingly...(cheese sandwich,nuts,melted chocolate bar! ha)

Edited: 16 May 2011, 14:19
nyc
Level Contributor
15,035 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Serengeti in November 2011

The EK flight, if on time, into DAR leaves sufficient time to connect to 6-6:30pm flight Arusha.

For a "tree lodge" - there are two, one at Tarangire, the other at Lake Manyara... both are very very expensive.

Dietary requirements shouldn't be any problem, as long as you advise your tour operator beforehand.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Serengeti in November 2011

Tarangire Tree Tops camp is well worth a visit if you like tree house accommodation. It is part of the Elewana chain of lodges and situated just outside the national park, so they can do night drives.

In Serengeti I am not aware of any tree house lodges. The Seronera area (central Serengeti) will be good during November. Like noexpert said, you can do a balloon safari from any of the lodges in that area.

Choose a reliable agent or operator and let them know your requirements. They will be able to book all your accommodation and arrange all your local transport so you don't have to sweat the details. There are many excellent operators you can use, if I had to recommend one I would say Hillary from Multichoice Safaris, based in Arusha.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
35 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Serengeti in November 2011

Thanks all for the info.

From DAR to Dubai the flight is at 450 pm.

Duma tours suggests we do Seronera to DAR.

Zanzibar tours and Amani afrika suggest Arusha to DAR.

Good earth suggests Lobo camp airport to DAR via seregeti, arusha and manyara.

Given the many connections to reach DAR, is it advisable to do just Arusha to DAR or can the connecting flights really make us reach DAR in time?

The tented camp looks too good from the photo gallery esp Maramboi. Any ideas on that?

8. Re: Serengeti in November 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2012, 11:19
Get answers to your questions about Serengeti National Park