We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grumeti Crossing in Mid June 2012 & accomodation

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
224 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Grumeti Crossing in Mid June 2012 & accomodation

Hi All, We're planning to go to the Serengeti in mid June hoping to be in the Grumeti River area for the crossing (i know its hard to predict) but I'm hoping by mid June they will be in that area at least.

I wanting to hire my own car and do my own thing (I've heard this is possible) but would love to get some recommendations for camping or other accommodation in the Grumeti area. We looking for something nice but not 5 star, so a range of ideas would be much appreciated.

Also any recommendations for 4X4 hire?

Thanks in advance

1. Re: Grumeti Crossing in Mid June 2012 & accomodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2013, 20:06
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grumeti Crossing in Mid June 2012 & accomodation

I would agree on all the self drive suggestions. If you haven't done this before in the Serengeti I would think twice about it. If you really want to do this, then google Fortes Car hire in Arusha and they will set you up with a vehicle.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grumeti Crossing in Mid June 2012 & accomodation

Marty. I don't think you have visited East Africa before although I recall we spoke about Uganda a couple of years back.

Even if you went there, you will not be prepared for Serengeti. Take heed of the others. This is not a run up from Capetown to the Kalahari or Namibia. This is serious country with few landmarks and fewer places to get help.

If you do go then stick to the main tracks. You could stay at Serengeti Stopover at the western end of Serengeti as a comfortable place with tents and Banda, or Seronera (Central) but don't think you can just roll up anywhere and pitch a tent. You will probably require an armed ranger.

My best suggestion is you arrange a camping safari with one of the good outfitters in Arusha. They are not expensive, and they will then provide the level of service you ask for. From fully fitted and catering to just a driver/guide and equipment. But you do NEED that guide.

Edited: 05 December 2011, 15:19
nyc
Level Contributor
14,599 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grumeti Crossing in Mid June 2012 & accomodation

Not only to arrange a vehicle/guide and even cook, provide tents, and if camping... need to reserve the space on 'public' or 'special' campsites. Drop-ins don't work.

Going it alone with no road signs, speaking the language, handling vehicle breakdowns, needing petrol (local currency only) and knowing where (few options and many miles apart)... and to be spotting game at the same time - not recommended first time visiting here.

The Serengeti is as large as tiny Switzerland, but still lots of ground to cover.

You can arrange with an Arusha-based outfitter to assist.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grumeti Crossing in Mid June 2012 & accomodation

I'll pass this one over to the experts, but want to say I met someone in the park doing a Western Serengeti self drive. It seems they took a bus to Lake Victoria, stayed just outside the gate in some very 2 star looking lodges, and rented a 4x4.

It seems to me its very possible with the tame terrain , short distance that this would be possible and the easy landmarks on both sides of the main road should make such a trip possible. JUST THINKING OUT LOUD, but I actually think I could do it

* also a note. The Mara is the crossing that is famous, often the Grumeti doesnt have enough water to enjoy those Nat Geographic type shots. But the Grumeti is neat as the wildees run through it as they are afraid of the predators lurking

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grumeti Crossing in Mid June 2012 & accomodation

I think the ** place mentioned by Missika would be the self same Serengeti Stopover that I mentioned above.

I think you may also find that it is the Grumeti crossing that is the big draw out there not the Mara. That just gets a bigger profile due to the exposure in Kenya!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
224 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Grumeti Crossing in Mid June 2012 & accomodation

thank you all for your advice, I appreciate it, and it all makes a lot of sense.

Would you advise to organise with a safari outfit in Arusha or before we leave for during this time of the year?

Also what are some recommended companies with accommodation in the Grumeti area that isn't over priced 5 start but still very nice?

Thanks again all

8. Re: Grumeti Crossing in Mid June 2012 & accomodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2013, 20:06
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grumeti Crossing in Mid June 2012 & accomodation

Read the Top Questions on the right side of the Tanzania Forum web page and you will get some answers to your questions.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grumeti Crossing in Mid June 2012 & accomodation

I would arrange it before you leave home. That way you get on your way shortly after arrival rather hang around sorting something out. No need to splurge on 5*.

If you are a keen camper, and I think you may be, then get an Arusha outfit to arrange this. Campsites in Central, (Seronera) and the Stopover at the Western gate, handy for Lake Victoria too, would suit you well.

www.serengetistopover.com

As for an Agent well as Karl says there are lots to pick in Arusha. Several of the good ones regularly get a mention on here.