We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Camp Sites in The Serengeti

Canterbury, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Budget Camp Sites in The Serengeti

Could anyone point me in the right direction as to where to find the budget camp sites within the Serengeti and Ngorogoro crater and surrounding parks, as I am looking to self drive and camp. Also, what facilities these camps provide?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget Camp Sites in The Serengeti

I didn't do budget camping, but a couple of comments...

I was curious about Simba campsite, a public campground on the crater rim. I found this description. Is it really possible that it costs $160 pppn?!

africatravelresource.com/africa/…

I was also intrigued by a guesthouse at the headquarters in the Serengeti. I inquired and they made reservations for us for $30 pppn. We didn't actually stay there, but that is a budget option I don't here people using much. Sounds very rudimentary...

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget Camp Sites in The Serengeti

The fee at public campsites is $30 per person, in addition to the normal fees one would pay to be in the park. See: http://www.ngorongorocrater.org/fees.html

The costs shown on ATR's website include all the costs such as equipment rental, food, cook, and probably also includes the vehicle costs, but I haven't studied it.

I can't help with location since I've never done it, and never would, without a guide. If you are doing self-drive to save money, you may want to look for a budget camping operator anyway to compare the costs of doing it yourself vs hiring someone. You may find that the price is not so different, yet the convenience and enjoyment is significantly better.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,405 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget Camp Sites in The Serengeti

Martin

You can find public campsites with a shower and basic toilet block and a cooking shed at Lake Manyara outside the park at the town of Mto wa Mbu also Simba campsite at Ngorongoro which is in a good location right on the Rim.

In the Central Serengeti the main public campsites are around the Seronera area and and if you wish to go 80 kms North to Lobo there is another behind the Lobo Wildlife lodge.

These campsites can be really crowded during peak season with the toilets etc breaking down under the strain.

However these are easily found but most on this forum discourage self drive as you can easily get lost and local knowledge helps find the animals.

Also for the cost of a self drive you can probably get a private safari.

tanzania
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget Camp Sites in The Serengeti

what time of the year are travelling in these area?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,502 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget Camp Sites in The Serengeti

Here's the link to the Parks sponsored accommodations which includes campsites.

http://tanzaniaparks.com/accomodations.html

I can understand the wish to self drive, but as previously posted, it is often discouraged and can be a bigger/more dangerous problem than trying to go on the lowest budget. If, on the other hand, you are doing it for the independence, still consider a private safari, as you can still dictate your time - just from the passenger seat.

6. Re: Budget Camp Sites in The Serengeti

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2012, 10:20
Get answers to your questions about Serengeti National Park