We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheetah with 4 cubs

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
249 posts
650 reviews
Save Topic
Cheetah with 4 cubs

We were in the Ndutu area Feb 16 to 19 staying in Olakira. We saw a cheetah mom with her 4 cubs every day. On the last day, 1 of her cubs got separated from the mom. About 15-20 guides tried to drive her back to her cub but it was quite far and she was terrified and tired. Our guide chose to leave so I wanted to find out if anyone knows of this incident and whether this cub was re-united with her mom. By the time we left, the cub and the mother was about half a mile away. We were told the ranger was on the way and would re-unite them.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what happened or perhaps saw them together after the 19th. Thanks!

Olean, NY
Level Contributor
56 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheetah with 4 cubs

This is exactly what I am afraid of when I go on my safari.....I adore all living things.....I realize the circle of life but I may find it difficult to take. Are there any wildlife refugees along the circuit that take on the lost babies ?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,840 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheetah with 4 cubs

Well Shell, you may not see any of this kind of activity - not all do. But, most of the circuit is in the NPs and these do not interfere with Nature. If there are refuges in the area, they cost money to support so will be for rhinos or those endangered animals. Babies are carnivore food - I'm blunt, not to be hard hearted, but it is reality. They are replaceable. (this is now the time to practice fortitude).

I've said it before, but there is nothing that keeps you parked and watching. If you do, ensure you have a strong shoulder and a big box of tissues. I'm actually pretty soft hearted, but I know my breaking point so sometimes prefer to play ostrich, or live on de-Nile.

PandaHouston, if you really, really want to know, and are prepared for an answer, you might contact Ndutu Safari Lodge, as they have a pretty close connection with the Cheetah Watch in that area - or email the Cheetah Watch directly (details on the Ndutu Safari Lodge website). If you do, I hope the answer is good news.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
249 posts
650 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheetah with 4 cubs

Thanks. I just sent Ndutu Safari Lodge an email. I would like some closure. It has been on my mind since we've left. Safaris are definitely not for the weak of heart.

Los Altos Hills, CA
Level Contributor
797 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheetah with 4 cubs

Perhaps Olakira camp would know as well? I wish I hadn't read your post, as I saw those cubs every day as well (just before you got there). So sad. We saw a lost baby wildebeest, and our guide seriously considered taking him into the truck to find a herd. Unfortunately we were miles away from any herds and had no idea where they would be.

Did you see the lion cubs? There were four when we first got there, but only 2 the next day :(. Did you see the two?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
249 posts
650 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheetah with 4 cubs

We also saw the lost baby wildebeest but our guide wouldn't follow him.

When we saw the lion cubs, there were 3. I thought I overheard someone say a lion cub was killed a few days prior but I'm not sure whether this was the same family as the one we saw.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
42 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheetah with 4 cubs

We followed these cubs as well when we were in Ndutu for three days. I am so curious to find out the outcome... I would be so sad to find out they never reunited.

We saw the mother lion and two cubs. Our guide said that a day or two before the mother got in a fight with a male lion who killed the other 2 cubs. She was in a lot of pain the first day was saw her, but seemed to be doing much better the following days.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
100 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheetah with 4 cubs

We saw a mother with 3 cubs in the Ndutu area recently, perhaps the same family. Was about 20 minutes drive from the Sopa Lodge.

Safaris are difficult for those who are uncomfortable with the reality of nature. We watched a wildebeest being born in the crater, and an hour later one being carried off by a Lioness.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheetah with 4 cubs

There are no refuges for orphaned animals in the area. There cannot be.

Just get used to this fact. It is what agriculturists class as 'crop surplus'.

It is evolution at work. The fittest survive the weak don't make it. If the food supply runs out, mum, be she Eagle or Cat, will make sure the food goes to those with the best chance of carrying on her genes. (That is why the Male Lion killed those cubs. He removed competetive genes that were not his and hoped the female would could back into oestrus and bear his.)

Any guide who interferes by 'rescuing ' an abandoned infant risks losing his licence. Tough but there it is.

(and before everyone shouts at me, I am no heartless beast either!)

Edited: 29 February 2012, 10:34
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,840 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheetah with 4 cubs

mfuwe, I'll share my tissues with you. We decide to write the hard stuff, but are also crying inside.

Los Altos Hills, CA
Level Contributor
797 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheetah with 4 cubs

Panda, that's good news that there were 3 cubs. We saw a bit of the aftermath of the fight. And one was definitely killed (sadly we saw the remains), but the other one was lost. Sounds like it got re-united with the pride!

Get answers to your questions about Serengeti National Park